    to be restricted to that case.

    From my experience with other hardware RAID controllers, I believe that
    performing the steps below will not restore a hardware RAID 1 (mirrored)
    array.

    1. Make a Ghost or other image backup of one of two drives in a mirrored
    array.
    2. Remove both hard drives.
    3. Replace them with new drives of the same type as the first two.
    4. Restore the Ghost image to one of the drives.
    5. Tell the RAID controller utility to rebuild the array using the data from
    the restored drive.

    If this won't work, why not? It sure would be convenient if it worked.

    TomC, Nov 5, 2005

  2. From: "TomC" <>

    | I am trying to learn more about procedures for backing up "hardware" RAID 1
    | arrays. I am specifically interested in the functionality of the RAID
    | controller on the Asus PSCH-LR motherboard, but I don't intend this question
    | to be restricted to that case.
    |
    | From my experience with other hardware RAID controllers, I believe that
    | performing the steps below will not restore a hardware RAID 1 (mirrored)
    | array.
    |
    | 1. Make a Ghost or other image backup of one of two drives in a mirrored
    | array.
    | 2. Remove both hard drives.
    | 3. Replace them with new drives of the same type as the first two.
    | 4. Restore the Ghost image to one of the drives.
    | 5. Tell the RAID controller utility to rebuild the array using the data from
    | the restored drive.
    |
    | If this won't work, why not? It sure would be convenient if it worked.

    Sounds like it will work except step #3. It doesn't have to be the same tyope as the first
    two. For example, it can be a larger capacity.

    Depending on the way the mirror works, you may have to break the mirror prior to imaging the
    mirrord pair. Norton/Symantec Ghost does have a disclaimer about its use with RAID.
    However, annecdotal information under certain circumstances have indicated that it can be
    done especially if the RAID is done by the controller and not created by an OS.

    David H. Lipman, Nov 5, 2005

  3. TomC

    TomC Guest

    David;

    Thanks, but my question was intended to take the type of hard drive out of
    the equation, by having all drives identical. I am aware of the Symantec
    Ghost disclaimer, that basically says "it might work". That means that
    Symantec found that it sometimes did NOT work, and in fact the procedure I
    described did not work for me using a 3ware controller card. If I understood
    RAID a bit better, and knew what RAID info was stored on the hard disks and
    what was stored in the controller's memory, maybe I could predict what would
    work and what would fail.

    Tom

    TomC, Nov 5, 2005