RAID 1 Install on AN8 SLI Fatal1ty

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Magnusfarce, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce Guest

    Howdy -

    I haven't done any RAID installs before, and am a bit stuck setting up my
    new machine. I have a single Raptor which will serve as the "C" drive and
    contain the OS. I also have two WD2500 SATA's that I want to configure in a
    RAID 1 (mirroring) array for data security. There seems to be two different
    ways to set up the RAID: using the floppy that came with the
    motherboard -or- going through the BIOS Setup.

    One thing that has me baffled is the need to use the floppy to set up both
    the SATA Raptor and also (apparently) to set up the RAID. This is another
    layer of apparent choices that's got me stumped. I haven't found anything
    in my searches that covers what I trying to do. Can someone advise me on
    this?

    BTW, I first set up this brand new machine with all the drives in place, and
    WinXP wouldn't let me use the Raptor as the "C" drive for the OS. It kept
    going to the only IDE drive (a Seagate 400) in the system. I finally
    removed all the other drives except for the Raptor, and after using the
    floppy, I was able to partition, format, and install onto it. What should I
    have done to allow the system to recognize the Raptor as a target for WinXP
    installation with the other drives still in place?

    - Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Magnusfarce

    specialty Guest

    I have this exact setup but with 2 raptors in raid 0. I did not connect any
    other drives until the os was installed. Then I installed the new wd400re as
    a stand alone raid 1 for back up. Been running 2 months perfect

    Mike

    specialty, Dec 31, 2005