RAID 5 Array (ASUS A8NSLI Deluxe) : some Files invisible thru the LAN !

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Toto, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Toto

    Toto Guest

    I've made a RAID 5 Array with the SIL3114 controller of the ASUS MB,
    running with XP Pro. It works fine (and not that slow for what I do :
    mainly, a file server for mp3 music files), BUT...

    In many directories, I've got files that stay "invisible" thru the LAN. I
    mean, I can see and use these files on the ASUS machine itself, but from
    other PC's (XP Pro too) on the LAN I just can't see them...

    Typically, it's the FIRST file(s) of a directory that "desappears" this
    way. I mean, as usualy my directories are made of the 12 or so tracks
    issued from a mp3 conversion of an Audio CD, I simply can't see the first
    (or the first two files) of the mp3 list ! They are there -as I see when I
    try to 'overwrite'it-, but I can't access to it.

    If I go directly on the ASUS machine and change there name to send them at
    the end of the alphabetic order, then they become visible thru the LAN. But
    then, the "new" first file becomes invisible.

    Did anyone meet such a strange problem ? Could it be a bug of the ASUS /
    SIL Windows utility ?

    Toto, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Toto

    Rod Speed Guest

    Is simple file sharing on or off ? Thats in Tools/Folder Options/View tab,
    in Explorer, right down the bottom of that list.

    If its not ticked, tick it, that should fix the problem.
    Most likely you just dont have the permissions set
    up properly with simple file sharing turned off.
    Thats a bit odd.
    Could be. What happens in Explorer ?

    Rod Speed, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Toto

    Toto Guest

    Thank you, Rod Speed, for your fast answer !
    I'd like, but yes, it's already ticked (and when I've settled the Files
    sharing from the Right click menu on the RAID Array (seen of course as a
    single drive in the Explorer), I've given ALL the rights to the remote
    users on the files (and if this was the problem, I think I could NOT SEE
    ANY FILE. But I see MOST OF THEM... Just the one or two first files of
    some directories are "missing" !).

    Completely agree
    What I describe IS happening in the explorer : directories are OK, but
    some existing files can't be seen (and of course, I've verified the
    properties of these files : they are not "hidden", just ordinary files.

    Toto, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Toto

    Rod Speed Guest

    No problem.
    Yeah, figures from the thing I said was a bit odd below.
    Yeah, but you might have done that after the first
    few missing files had been written to the drive.
    Yeah, it cant be a permission problem when new
    files that were visible become visible like that.
    Yeah, looks like some wart in the RAID controller or its software.
    Have you asked Asus ?

    Rod Speed, Nov 23, 2005
  5. Toto

    Toto Guest

    Well, I think that is what I have to do now... But my experience is that
    you often get better information from the other users than from the
    official hotline... Specially when it's about a 'third party' part of the
    computer (Silicon Image)...

    So, if someone has had the same problems (and at least the begining of a
    solution...).

    Thanks again Rod Speed, anyway...

    Toto, Nov 23, 2005