    a series of popups in the system tray saying "RAID Access Failure".

    However, the print operation succeeds! If I just ignore the popups,
    everything eventually sorts itself out. What's up? Any ideas?

    RoadRaat, Jul 10, 2006

  2. RoadRaat

    RoadRaat Guest

    Question asked; question answered.

    I discovered what's going on. Nothing. My RAID works fine. The problem
    is the Disk Alert utility from MediaShield. It is inferior. It reports
    Raid Access Failure when there is none.

    You don't really need a RAID monitor from your OS if you have a
    hardware-based RAID. It's just a convenience. And not even convenient
    at all if it's inaccurate.

    You also don't really need MediaShield. It's just another convenience.
    In point of fact, you can maintain your RAID from the BIOS.

    The solution was simple. Omit the monitor from the startup items.
    Deselect nvraidservice.exe from the startup items in MSCONFIG.

    There are many places on the internet that say nvraidservice.exe is a
    driver or that it is otherwise essential for the operation of your
    RAID. This is incorrect.

    You do need to install your RAID drivers, but nvraidservice.exe is not
    a driver. It is not essential for operation of your RAID.

    My RAID was working correctly from the beginning in spite of the
    erroneous Disk Alert popups. So what's wrong with MediaShield's Disk
    Alert? Are my disks just slow in RAID 5 and Disk Alert thinks I'm
    having a read failure for every block my OS attempts to read? I'm
    guessing here.

    RoadRaat, Jul 11, 2006

  3. RoadRaat

    old man Guest

    There are numerous reported problems with media shield and active armour
    just view nvidea forums
    Personally, and from experience, I have no faith in onboard raid or the
    onboard raid utilities.
    I'm now using a raid card and its supplied utilities ($350) , though my mobo
    has two different raid controllers. But I guess it depends how important
    your data is to you

    old man, Jul 11, 2006
  4. RoadRaat

    RoadRaat Guest

    Thanks, Old Man, for the tip about the nVidea forums. I'll check those
    out.

    I'm new to RAID. When things didn't work, I naturally assumed it was
    me. When I realized that MediaShield is less than perfect, I suspected
    I would have to go with a RAID card. Your feedback was informative.

    I'll watch how things work with my system. At some point I may be
    upgrading the way you describe.

    RoadRaat, Jul 12, 2006
  5. RoadRaat

    John Lewis Guest

    ZERO problems with on-board RAID0 on A8N32-SLI with MB driver 6.85 and

    dual (non-Maxtor) 3.0Gbit SATA disks. Of course, my system disk is
    non-RAID - life is too short and I am not a masochist.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 12, 2006
  6. RoadRaat

    old man Guest

    I had two different Asus mobos using raid, both gave raid problems
    On one, mirror raid, the raid utilities reported all ok, I then had
    considerable probs with NIS, which I've used for many years without a
    problem, then my DB app started giving probs. All utilities reported the
    raid ok, but I broke it, rebooted and found three months of data missing,
    the raid was not in sync, NIS had partially installed on one disk and
    partially on the other.
    Asus admitted there had been raid probs with data loss but thought it had
    been cured by a bios update they were unable to offer any other insite.
    Since data is critical to my business, once bitten twice shy. Using a raid
    card with auto hotswap, event err email + backups offsite and on site and
    Raid telephone support.

    old man, Jul 12, 2006