    system I want to build.

    Thanks.
    Howard

    Howard, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Howard

    Howard Guest

    This is getting rather confusing...I called tech support at the store
    where I purchased the motherboard and asked about this and they said
    if there is only one apparent SATA RAID control in the BIOS that you
    can not use a RAID array on one of the two chips and not on the other.
    However since I spoke with them I have read a review of the board
    that says that you can and someone on another forum has told me that
    you can as well. This is what I wrote back to him and I would
    certainly apprciate anything you folks could do to help me sort this
    out!:

    I would like to run 2 SATA non-RAID discs and 2 in RAID 0 array.
    Looking at the BIOS I can not understand how one would disable the
    RAID controller on one of the two SATA chips and not the other.

    The first related BIOS option appears to be "On-chip SATA" which will
    let you manually configure SATA Port 0 and 1 and then comes "SATA RAID
    function" which says it can 'enable SATA RAID function when SATA mode
    set to SATA Port 0 & SATA Port 1 only (Default value)'. So I assume
    by setting the above in the BIOS you can enable RAID on one of the
    SATA chips....though I am unsure which of the 2 chips.

    The problem is then that I don't see a similar BIOS control for the
    second chip clearly marked. The only things in the BIOS instruction
    manual that makes me think they might be the RAID controller for the
    other chip are the following items:

    "Onboard H/W SATA" that can 'enable or disable onboard SATA function'

    "Serial ATA Function" which can 'set onboard SATA chip function as
    RAID (default value) or base.

    The other RAID settings refer to GIGARAID which is the IDE RAID
    controller. In addition for this GIGARAID there are BIOS settings for
    " GIGARAID Function" as well as "Onboard H/W GIGARAID to enable or
    disable IDE RAID. So with two such controls for GIGARAID it confuses
    me even more for what the H/W SATA means in that it might refer to the
    earlier SATA RAID controller.

    So, if you could help out with which SATA RAID controller goes to
    which chip and how to separately turn the two RAID controllers on and
    off, I would be very appreciative as I am holding offf on buying
    drives until I understand if I can set them up the way I am
    anticipating.

    Thanks

    Howard

    Howard, Oct 3, 2003

  3. On 2 Oct 2003 17:37:14 -0700, (Howard) wrote:

    There are 4 connectors on the board. 2 are Port 0 & Port 1. These are connected
    to the ICH5 (Intel chip) chip and there are 2 are connected to the SIL (I think
    it is) chip. This is the one you can disable in hardware about 2/3's the way
    down in the BIOS named ONBOARD SATA.

    Can't really comment as I am having trouble getting mine working with 2 on the
    Intel chip and installing XP on them but they obvious which is which after a few
    goes.

    John Veldthuis, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Howard

    Tim Guest

    Howard,

    Only 1 thing I would recommend - and this appears not to concern you - don't
    use the ITE controller (the GigaRaid / PATA IDE one). All reports are that
    it is slow.

    From the books:

    Sata Raid Function - User Manual for Silicon Image controller.
    (This is called the OnBoard SATA controller or SII SATA0 / .
    The connectors are towards the center of the m/b).

    Page 1:
    SATARaid Features
    Raid 0 and 1
    Hot Spare and On-line Mirror Rebuilding
    (Really? how with only 2 discs?)
    HDD's function normally when not in RAID sets.
    + lots of other neat features.

    GA-8knxp - User's Manual
    Page 6
    On Board SATA RAID (should read OnChip for consistency)
    (The connectors are towards the edge - check the diag.)
    Built in ICH5R
    Supports RAID 0
    RAID Only Supports XP
    ___

    The OnChip (ICH5R or Intel) SATA controller supports both RAID and plain IDE
    devices - from experience.
    If it is confiured to Map to IDE 0 then all OS can use the device without
    drivers, but not as RAID and at the expense of the PATA IDE controller at
    the same position.
    The latest bios (F6) and Intel drivers with the IAA 3.5 update reportedly
    support RAID 1 as well. I have an Asus P4P800 running with that config at
    the moment and the 8KNXP is running plain discs on the SATA controller
    reliably.

    According to common sense and many peoples statements, since the Intel RAID
    (onChip) does not go through the PCI bus it could give better performance...
    But from what I have heard there is no difference between existing
    integrated SATA and PCI connected SATA although the seagate website says
    differently.

    So it would seem you have all options - if you run XP you can RAID on the
    OnChip SATA as well. The Silicon Image one - according to the manual will do
    RAID under Xp, 200, 98, & ME.

    OK?

    - Tim

    Tim, Oct 4, 2003