    I dont know which card and with which specs to buy; ATA, serial, 100
    or 133?

    Greetings Tom

    Tom, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Tom

    jamotto Guest

    harddrives today rarely reach transfer (burst) rates of more than
    50MB/s and these are the expensive drives. So most likely the drive
    you have will not even
    challenge ATA100 since these are the burst speed of the drive the
    average transfer rate is much lower. I have seen some benchmarks that
    show two serial harddrives reach a burst speeds of about 54-56MB/s so
    in my opinion it would be better to buy the cheaper ATA100 or ATA133
    than the serial. Unless you want cutting edge tech. or the thinner
    ribbons that are used to connect the drives appeals to you for some
    reason(exp. better air flow etc.). Also if you intend to use RAID 0
    then the final size of the RAID volume is the smallest drive times 2.
    For example it's not 120GB + 10GB = 130GB but 10GB * 2= 20GB you will
    waste 110GB of space.

    hope this helps.

    jamotto, Nov 2, 2003