RAID doesn't appear in boot options when other IDE drives present

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Roger, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. Roger

    Roger Guest

    Rebuilding an existing system.

    P4C800 Deluxe mobo.

    Have successfully configured and installed a RAID0 array with Windows
    XP. If I disconnect all existing hard drives, I can boot from the RAID
    and can run Windows XP.

    If other hard drives are attached to either IDE connector, the RAID
    doesn't appear in the boot list.

    There's a failed WinXP (re-)install on the old master drive, if that
    matters. I'm going to try to see if I can set the drive without WinXP
    to master, leave off the old WinXP drive, and see what happens.

    Thanks!

    -- Roger

    Roger, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Roger

    IanDunbar Guest

    Have you changed the boot order in the bios? needs to be something like;
    SCSI, HD, CD. Sounds like you've got HD first and it's trying to boot the
    old (failed) XP install.

    HTH

    Ian

    IanDunbar, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Roger

    Ben Pope Guest

    Just to clarify <not built in IDE> = SCSI, regardless of whether it's SCSI
    or ATA. About time they changed that really.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Roger

    JBM Guest

    In the BIOS under the boot menu / hard drives
    make sure the hard drive you want to boot is
    in the 1st position. Do the same thing under
    CDroms and removable drives. Then each drive listed first in each of the
    other menus
    will show up in the boot priority menu and
    can be manipulated there.
    One thing I don't like is I'm booting from
    a raid array and have a removable drive on
    the IDE port. If I remove that drive I have
    to play with the boot in the BIOS again.
    I wish Asus would make it so that if the
    drive I was booting from is still attached then
    it would boot from that drive, regardless of
    other drives I've added or removed.

    JBM, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Roger

    Roger Guest

    In the immortal phrasing of Homer Simpson: DOH!

    Thanks all for the prompt and helpful solution.

    I also ran into the problem whereby adding or removing any IDE device
    resets the priority list for drives. I was trying to recover data from
    the failed XP share and had to remove it to mount on a 9x machine.

    On that note, sysinternals.com makes a nifty freeware app for mounting
    NTFS shares on 9x.

    Thanks again,

    -- R

    Roger, Oct 21, 2003