    Dale Huguenin
    Network Administrator

    , Feb 19, 2008

  2. at Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello, I have a question I am hoping that someone can help me with.
    > I have a small network and run 5 servers all RAID5. I would like to be
    > able to run software that will check the RAID integrity without having
    > to reboot the servers on a schedule (as I try to keep them up 24x7).
    > These servers host medical information and need to be accessible;
    > hence the question does anyone have an idea or worked with software
    > that will check the integrity of the RAID(s)??
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Dale Huguenin
    > Network Administrator

    I know that budgets can be tight in small businesses...
    but my best suggestion to you is to deal with server
    hardware that is designed for an environment like yours.

    HP ProLiant servers with SmartArray controllers are
    designed to run 24/7; the servers come with a utility
    called Insight Manager that will notify you proactively
    if a disk is degraded -- and will generate a support
    ticket that will get HP to ship out a new drive for you,
    and you don't have to wait for the old one to fail before
    activating this pre-failure warranty. Lots of other nice
    features as well.

    You might want to check out the newsgroup for Compaq/HP
    servers... low traffic, but really helpful people.

    at, Feb 21, 2008