Raid: setting up on MSI K8T Neo

Discussion in 'MSI' started by ancientoneuk, Aug 14, 2006.

  1. ancientoneuk

    ancientoneuk

    Hi

    I have acquired two Western Digital WD200's brand new and identical and am eying the third IDE connector on my board but have not a clue even from the manual as what to do and is it worth it?

    I am looking at RAID 0 for performance, the current setup is IDE 0 has Maxtor 40GB Diamond Max and one WD200 and IDE 1 has Benq DVD writer and the other WD200.

    Now my thinking is that seeing as these are paired HDD's, would I be able to say have IDE 0 the Maxtor, IDE 1 the Benq and IDE 2 the paired WD200's on PATA RAID 0?

    According to the manual, the BIOS will build the array for me after killing the data and then Windows will accomdate the array into itself but is this after a fresh install or will I be able to do this from a current install?

    Or do I have to install onto the array, the Windows and leave the Maxtor as a secondary storage...?

    Any help greatly appreciated, networks and raid seem to be areas I have never touched on til now and I keep seeing people say how good an array is for their system, bearing in mind that this Neo board has 6 potential IDE nodes and 6 SATA nodes as well means I can really load the board up if I decided to.

    I want to pull the WD200 off the IDE 0 if I could as it is strangling the UDMA 6 on the Maxtor.

    Cheers

    AO

    ancientoneuk, Aug 14, 2006