    seems that even with a Lowlevel formatting, the disks still keep an
    information that prevents their use for building a RAID5 bunch...

    Any idea of a solution (or at least an explanation...) ?

    Toto, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Toto

    KC Computers Guest

    I've just bought a A8N-SLI Deluxe, and I've made a first and good test on
    There is indeed information left on them if you did not delete the RAID
    array
    first. Try hooking them up the same way they were and delete the array.

    KC Computers, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Toto

    Toto Guest

    Thank you Kevin for your answer...

    You're right, I should have done it first... In fact, I've tried many times
    to rebuild this "genuine" array, but the utility doesn't say anything else
    than 'reserved'...
    There was one stage of my trials at which the Raid Controller utility could
    see two HDs of the "old" RAid array, but asked for more of course...
    That's why my idea - a bad one probably - was to low-level format the HD's,
    to get everything "erased". Isn't there any other way now ? I mean, if you
    get some former RAid 5 HDs from someone else, there must be a solution to
    "clean" this kind of information even if you can't go back to the genuine
    arrays ? Or are you just supposed to throw the HDs away ?

    Toto, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Toto

    KC Computers Guest

    Thank you Kevin for your answer...
    You don't need to throw the drives away. Does the RAID controller
    see any of them now when they are all connected? If so, will it let you set
    up any sort of array (i.e. 0, 1, 5) just for testing? If so, the drive info
    causing your problem might get cleared.

    KC Computers, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Toto

    KC Computers Guest

    You may need to fix the MBRs for each hard drives:

    To clear the MBR, boot from the XP cd and go into the Recovery console
    (Repair). In command prompt type the following

    fixmbr (new master boot record creation)
    fixboot (incase you get message cannot find ntldr)
    bootcfg /rebuild (incase the boot.ini is damaged)

    Alternatively, boot from a Win98 bootable floppy and type this

    fdisk /mbr

    KC Computers, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Toto

    Toto Guest

    Thanks again, Kevin, I think you've given me the solution (because no, I
    couldn't set up any kind of array more with the HDs...). That's exactly the
    kind of thing I wanted to do without knowing exactly how to. But I can't
    try it now because my office (where the machine is) is closed until
    wednesday...

    I'll also record this for another time (if any...).

    As you seem to know this kind of problem quite well, let me ask one more
    question : once my RAID 5 array built, what about my data if the Asus MB
    happened to be out ? Do I have a solution to 'mount' my array, or at least
    the HDs and some readable data on an other "non A8N-SLI Deluxe" machine ?
    Or will I loose all the data if that happens when the A8N-SLI Deluxe is out
    of production ?

    Toto, Oct 29, 2005
  7. Toto

    KC Computers Guest

    You may need to fix the MBRs for each hard drives:
    OK, let us know if it fixes the problem. We've seen similiar issues like
    that
    before with customer systems.
    If you wish to use your RAID 5 array in another system (after setting it up
    with the RAID controller chip on the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard),
    then it will need to use something which uses the same Silicon Image 3114R
    RAID controller chip. Othewise, your data will be in accessible. If that's
    something that you worry about, then buying a separate PCI RAID SATA
    controller is recommended.

    KC Computers, Oct 29, 2005