    And the bottem line It is recommended to implement the project with
    C++. (should be work under kernal and user mode OS in the samw way)

    Thanks a lot for your ideas.

    scilent-project, May 30, 2006

  2. How about trying two heavy gauge wires in glass or plastic tubing that
    is sealed on one end. Make two probes a couple of inches (5 cm or so)
    long and see how much capacitance you get with different spacings and
    water depths.

    The glass or plastic would make the metal choice irrelevant and will
    prevent electrolysis.

    If needed, you could go to a flat plate design by sealing the conductors
    between insulating material. Remember to use fish safe glues.

    Gerald Bonnstetter

    Gerald Bonnstetter, May 30, 2006

  3. scilent-project

    Steve Guest

    I like the flat plate idea, lots of capacitance, might go that way!

    Steve

    Steve, Jun 1, 2006
  4. scilent-project

    Rocky Guest

    I think the idea was that the copper was completely covered in
    insulating materials and conductive effects were used.

    Rocky

    Rocky, Jun 1, 2006
  5. Related topic: Some irrigation systems have ground
    moisture sensing so as to more precisely control when
    watering is performed. Anyone have any idea how this
    is done? I thought electrical conductivity would be
    a reasonable method until someone mentioned that the
    conductivity will change from fertilizing, etc.

    Everett M. Greene, Jun 2, 2006
  6. scilent-project

    Tom Lucas Guest

    Sorry I haven't responded for a while - I was off last week. I'm pretty sure
    you can make it work to just about any reolution if you have an accurate
    enough design. I don't think our probes have 1mm resolution but they are 4
    feet long and don't need that kind of accuracy. I didn't design them though
    and so I have no idea what type of oscillator or frequencies to start with.
    Knowing our lot numbers like that would be bitterly guarded secrets anyway
    :-(

    In a good controlled environment like an aqaurium then you might be better
    using load cells to weigh the tank. I was speaking to chap in the pub
    yesterday who works with weighing machines who reckons he uses a load cell
    with a few thou of movement which will measure up to 20 tonnes with a
    200gram resolution! I was impressed.

    Tom Lucas, Jun 5, 2006