    motherboard has that accepts a normal parallel port cable).

    Any info appreciated,

    Austin

    Austin Franklin, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Try www.digikey.com, but be willing to spend some time searching through
    the online catalog.

    William Asher, Mar 22, 2006

  3. Hi William

    Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried them (and Mouser), and found
    nothing...yet. If you (or anyone) has in fact seen them there (or at
    Mouser), I'd appreciate knowing.

    Regards,

    Austin

    Austin Franklin, Mar 22, 2006
  4. Austin Franklin

    BC Guest

    Hi,

    PCI to parallel add in card? Not sure if these are low profile enough
    for your system, but, they run about 10$ US....

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&ATTR2=&ATTR4=

    If you need the parallel port for a printer: a mini print server?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showi...tion=NETGEAR+PS101+Mini+Print+Server+-+Retail

    There are a bunch of them here:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&ATTR2=&ATTR4=

    Even with a parallel connector soldered to the board, I wonder if there
    might be something missing in the BIOS/elsewhere on the motherboard that
    would prevent it from working, or, make it unreliable, etc....

    HTH,

    BC

    BC, Mar 23, 2006
  5. Hi BC,

    The add in card is what I've done on one system, but these motherboards have
    a DB25 footprint on the PCB, and appear to support a parallel port in
    hardware/BIOS...so without taking up one of the three available slots, this
    is a more attractive solution to me.

    What I can do that will probably work, is solder the ribbon cable from a
    DB25 with a ribbon cable attached directly to the PCB through hole pads, and
    that should work fine. The correct connector would be a whole lot easier
    though.

    Regards,

    Austin

    Austin Franklin, Mar 23, 2006
  6. Have you tried contacting Tyan and seeing if they have a source for a
    connector?

    Depending on how involved you want to get, maybe find an old mb and
    unsolder the connector off of it and put it onto your mb.

    William Asher, Mar 23, 2006
  7. Austin Franklin

    BC Guest

    Dear Austin,

    one more thought--if you post your question in

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

    as a general question about soldering that connector to "a" mobo (not
    mentioning Tyan vs. Asus? not that anyone in the Asus group would
    mind,I think) there is one gentleman there, Paul, who is quite an expert
    at soldering, tweaking, electrical engineering type questions, etc--he
    has probably done just what you propose to do, and might have some
    suggestions.

    HTH,

    BC

    BC, Mar 25, 2006
  8. Austin Franklin

    Paul Guest

    The connctor looks like a DB-25 female, elevated above the board.
    The one in the picture is made by Amp, but I could not locate it
    on the Amp website.

    ftp://ftp.tyan.com/img_mobo/i_s2722.tif

    Digikey carries some Norcomp DB-25 right angle connectors, but
    they are all low profile, none elevated above the board with a
    support post for stability.

    I have a spare motherboard in my hand here, and the brand of
    connector there is Tekcon. tekcon.com.tw doesn't seem to list
    the elevated connector either.

    Tis mysterious... Must be one of those "secret decoder ring"
    things, where ya gotta be in the club, to find out where
    to get them.

    Sorry,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 29, 2006