    J&SB Guest

    Looking for performance 1GB sticks to build out this board with 2x Operon
    280's. What are people using? I heard that Kingston KRK3200AK2/2G works.

    J&SB, Oct 18, 2005

  2. J&SB

    Jim Guest

    I'm have the S2895. I was able to buy dual Samsung 2 GB modules from
    Memory4Less for quite a bit less money than I could find the Kingston.
    I haven't got the machine working yet, because of other problems, but
    the price was right.

    Jim, Oct 18, 2005

  3. J&SB

    Rob Stow Guest

    I built four S2895-based systems for a small company in my area.
    Two were built from scratch two months ago and two are upgrades
    from S2885 boxes I built a year earlier.

    The systems that were upgraded from the S2885 have all DIMM slots
    filled with 2 GB PC3200 ECC DIMMs from Crucial.

    The other two have all DIMM slots filled with 15% cheaper 2GB
    PC3200 ECC DIMMsCorsair. Truly negligible performance
    differences compared to the boxes using the Crucial DIMMs: a very
    slight edge on some tests, and trailing very slightly in others.

    They also have a server based on the S2882 or S2880 (can't
    remember which). That box has all slots filled with 4 GB PC2700
    ECC from Corsair, for a total of 32 GB. I got a chance to pop a
    couple of those 4 GB DIMMs out and try them in one of the S2895
    systems - and it wouldn't even POST.

    Rob Stow, Oct 18, 2005
  4. J&SB

    Jim Guest

    We'll see what happens when I fire up the motherboard, if ever. These
    are PC3200 DDR 400 Registered ECC modules, and they were less than
    $400.00 each. Both Kingston and Crucial were far more money for the
    same specifications. We'll see whether they work or not, however.

    Jim

    Jim, Oct 18, 2005
  5. J&SB

    Rob Stow Guest

    $400 each in what currency ?

    $400 yankeebucks is just an average price for Crucial or Corsair
    or Samsung.

    If those are Canadian dollars, you have gotten a heck of a great
    deal.

    However, I took a look at www.memory4less.com (from your earlier
    post). The only 2GB ECC DIMMs I could find there were generic
    PC2700 and PC2100 - nothing faster and no reputable brands. The
    only Samsung they seem to have is RDRAM - no DDR.

    Rob Stow, Oct 19, 2005
  6. J&SB

    Jim Guest

    $400.00 US. They were DDR 400 PC3200 CL=3.0 (the invoice had said
    CL=2.5) Registered ECC modules. Unless prices have changed quite a
    bit, Crucial was $600.00 for similar modules and Kingston was more than
    $500.00. I was a bit nervous, because Memory4Less was "correcting" the
    web page from which I was ordering, and changing the specifications, as
    I talked to the salesman. I didn't want to pay more than $1,000.00 for
    memory. Perhaps the other memory has gotten cheaper, in which case I
    would rather buy a name-brand too. It would have been $400.00 *more*
    at the time I bought.

    Jim

    Jim, Oct 19, 2005
  7. J&SB

    Henrik Tived Guest

    I use 8x ATP 1Gb ECC sticks and they work fine and they were cheap

    Henrik

    Henrik Tived, Oct 25, 2005
  8. J&SB

    Jim Guest

    I'm talking about *2GB* modules. They are PC3200 DDR400 CL=3
    Registered ECC Samsung memory. They will give you a better price over
    the telephone than they post on their web site. Their part number is
    88.41282-AA. I've got the machine running now, and the memory seems to
    be fine.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 4, 2005
  9. J&SB

    Henrik Tived Guest

    Hi Jim,

    so how much ram did you get? and roughly what did you pay?

    Henrik

    Henrik Tived, Nov 11, 2005
  10. J&SB

    Jim Guest

    Henrik,

    I started with 4 GB of RAM at $397.00 US per 2 GB. I have two more 2
    GB modules arriving today at $385.00 US per module. I don't know
    whether it is as good as the Crucial memory, but it is nearly $200.00
    *cheaper* per stick! The Kingston 2 GB modules are in their "Value
    RAM" group, which made me shy away from them. Nevertheless, I am aware
    that, merely because there are Samsung chips on it, does *not* mean my
    current memory is any good. It has worked so far.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 11, 2005
  11. J&SB

    Jim Guest

    This story is *not* over yet. They *charged* me a different amount,
    $31.00 per *stick,* more than they quoted me. I am trying to get my
    $62.00 back. I'll post back regarding this. The owner wouldn't fix it
    until Monday.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 12, 2005
  12. J&SB

    Jim Guest

    Memory for less has honored their $385.00 price they quoted me on the
    telephone. That is quite a bit cheaper than the other companies. I
    haven't stressed the memory yet, but it seems to be working fine. I've
    now got 8 GB of RAM and two, dual-core, Italy 270 processors. Now I
    just have to find some software which will take advantage of it! <g>

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 14, 2005