    easily handle an increase in FSB speed, up from 200 MHz?

    I hope my question is clear enough.

    -Judd

    Judd, Oct 21, 2006

  2. Judd

    EDM Guest

    It would help to know what motherboard you have, and what
    memory brands you're considering. All else being equal, DDR
    500 is more overclockable than DDR 400, but there are a few
    other considerations... E.g. some DDR500 can run at 250FSB
    only at higher voltages, 3.1-3.3V or higher. While some
    motherboards, e.g. Intel 865/875-based can't provide more
    than 2.8V.

    Don't worry too much about latencies, you'll usually get better
    performance with a higher FSB regardless of timings. Although
    most AMD cpus take better advantage of lower latencies than
    Intel chips.

    EDM, Oct 21, 2006

  3. Judd

    Paul Guest

    But that is what memory dividers are for. A 875/865 offers
    1:1, 5:4, and 3:2, and maybe others I don't know about.
    If you lift the FSB, then 5:4 can keep DDR400 happy for
    a bit, and if you really overclock a lot higher, then
    the 3:2 divider can be used to stay within the bounds
    of DDR400.

    Athlon64 has similar options, and a three bit field in a
    memory control register, allows setting an objective target
    for memory speed. That too allows compensating for a
    raised CPU clock. If you increase the CPU clock from
    200 to 240, then selecting "DDR333" instead of "DDR400"
    for the memory, helps keep the memory speed within spec.

    The main advantage of a DDR500 memory, is running it at the
    full rate, to gain a bit of performance from the increased
    memory bandwidth. That may required loose timing and
    increased voltage. But the most gains come from the CPU and
    not the memory, so spending a lot of money on memory, is
    only for those with deep pockets. The recent price drops in
    processors allows you to get a lot more for your money on
    the CPU end.

    On the computer I'm typing this on, my DDR400 rated memory
    is running at DDR460. Some memories have more headroom than
    others, and this stuff will almost reach DDR500. Too bad
    my motherboard prevents me from overclocking that high.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 22, 2006