    Will generic RAM do? Or do I need to buy from Dell?

    Thanks,
    SW

    S W, Oct 7, 2005

  2. S W

    wayne Guest

    generic is fine use quality memory. www.crucial.com is a good place to
    start

    Wayne

    wayne, Oct 7, 2005

  3. S W

    PeterD Guest

    No: not generic as found in a typical PC.
    No: you need not get from DELL, you can order from NewEgg, Provantage,
    or another online supplier, or maybe eBay if you are willing to take a
    chance...

    You need:

    72-bit ECC PC-2100 DDR SDRAM DIMMs, with 2-way interleaving
    128-, 256-, 512 MB, or 1-GB registered DDR SDRAM DIMMs

    which is not standard generic memory, but can be gotten without too
    much trouble. Maybe eBay is the way to go with these.

    PeterD, Oct 7, 2005
  4. S W

    PeterD Guest

    PeterD, Oct 7, 2005
  5. S W

    S W Guest

    Thanks for the help, (Wayne too).

    This was a bit of a rush job and so I ordered from Dell about 2 hours
    after posting. It was a 2GB upgrade I was after (2x1GB sticks). I
    followed your links and it turns out that Dell are a bit less than 30GBP
    dearer. Ah well, that's life.

    Regards,

    SW

    S W, Oct 8, 2005
  6. S W

    PeterD Guest

    Dell cheaper? Humm, you lead a blessed life! <bg> You'll love the 2Gig
    memory upgrade... I run 2 Gig in my personal workstation and it is
    lightning fast, almost twice the speed of the 1 gig versions that I
    also have.

    PeterD, Oct 8, 2005
  7. S W

    Tom Scales Guest

    What do you do that needs the extra gig? It's a rare program that requires
    it.

    Tom Scales, Oct 8, 2005
  8. S W

    S W Guest

    No, they weren't cheaper, they were just under £30 dearer. Which for
    2x1GB sticks is not as bad as it sounds.

    By the way, I need the upgrade for a SQL server accounting application.
    I can't imagine the accountants whooping it up cos its so fast.....

    SW

    S W, Oct 8, 2005