RAM on Shuttle mobo's

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by NickD, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. NickD

    NickD Guest

    Hi all,
    I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll check...

    I have a PC with a shuttle SN41G2 motherboard and another with an FN51
    mobo, and 2GB of RAM. Neither PC will start with the 1GB stick
    installed on its own; both work fine with 2x512MB sticks installed.
    They both complete the memory check and hang

    So far, so simple. Now comes the weird part....
    - when I install the 1GB stick alongside a 512MB stick, both will
    start. However, they will only recognise 1GB total of RAM. Running a
    memory diagnostic program shows no errors in the RAM.

    My question is - do these motherboards support 1GB sticks of RAM? Was
    it something that was enabled in a BIOS update that perhaps I need to
    download? Because my understanding is that they both do/ should.

    Thanks in advance.
    Nick

    NickD, Nov 16, 2006

  2. NickD

    NickD Guest

    > Hi all,
    > I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll check...
    >
    > I have a PC with a shuttle SN41G2 motherboard and another with an FN51
    > mobo, and 2GB of RAM. Neither PC will start with the 1GB stick
    > installed on its own; both work fine with 2x512MB sticks installed.
    > They both complete the memory check and hang

    Sorry, that's SN41G2 PC with FN41 mobo and an FS51 mobo. Doh!

    Nick

    NickD, Nov 16, 2006

  3. NickD

    Dodgy Guest

    On 16 Nov 2006 08:34:21 -0800, "NickD" <>
    waffled on about something:

    >> Hi all,
    >> I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll check...
    >>
    >> I have a PC with a shuttle SN41G2 motherboard and another with an FN51
    >> mobo, and 2GB of RAM. Neither PC will start with the 1GB stick
    >> installed on its own; both work fine with 2x512MB sticks installed.
    >> They both complete the memory check and hang

    >Sorry, that's SN41G2 PC with FN41 mobo and an FS51 mobo. Doh!
    >
    >Nick

    I think you'll find they need to be in pairs.

    That's why you get 1gig when you put the 1GB stick in with the 512GB
    stick, it just detects them as a pair of 512's and give you 1GB total.

    Try putting in 2 stick of 1GB.

    Dodgy.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES