    "256MB Shared DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (Performs at 266MHz for 400FSB systems)"

    What could that mean? I'm guessing it has installed DDR333 PC2700 memory. What
    does the 'performs at' language mean here? Thanks.

    Al, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Al

    Tom Scales Guest

    I would read it that if you install it in a machine that only supports
    PC2100, then it runs as PC2100

    Tom Scales, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Al

    S.Lewis Guest

    What it means is that PC2700 333mhz DDR will run only at 266mhz if used with
    a (Celeron or P4) 400mhz FSB CPU.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Al

    Al Guest

    that's what I don't get. If the CPU supports 400FSB, then is it the board
    which can only run at 266FSB max? If that's true, then why use such a slow
    board with faster memory and processor? I imagine there wpould be a notoceable
    slowdown in the whole system from using such a slow board - but you can't see
    what board is being used, from Dell's pages.

    Al, Feb 17, 2005
  5. Al

    S.Lewis Guest

    What system are we talking about here, dood? (2400 or 3000 Dimension?)

    The board isn't the limitation - the *CPU FSB (external clock speed) is*,
    which currently means a Celeron (400 FSB) running PC2700/333mhz DDR RAM
    chokes the RAM back to 266mhz .(333mhz these days is even considered
    "slower" than the current PC3200/400mhz DDR or above and DDR2 speeds.)

    You'll have to have a CPU with a 533mhz FSB or better to "get" 333mhz out of
    PC2700.

    There are now Celerons out with a 533mhz FSB and 256mb cache, btw....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 17, 2005
  6. Al

    Al Guest

    thanks. I did get the P4 2.8 GHz 533FSB in a Dimension 3000 So, the PC2700 is
    underutilized with a lesser speed FSB processor - and faster memory (400FSB)
    would be somewhat wasted in the P4 533FSB?

    I guess I learned something.

    Al, Feb 17, 2005
  7. Al

    S.Lewis Guest

    Correct. Assuming one paired up a 533mhz FSB CPU with PC3200/400mhz DDR, the
    RAM would run at only 333mhz - in a similar fashion.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 18, 2005