    2gb pc2 5300 ram or 2.5gb pc2 4200 ram ? Will one choice be
    noticeable faster than the other (by eye not benchmarks) ? Currently
    using pc2 4200 ram (stock).

    RnR, Nov 30, 2007

  2. since they don't make 1.25gb modules, i suppose that you are asking if 2x1gb
    pc2-5300 is better than 1x2gb+1x.5gb pc2 4200. i would say that 2x1gb pc2
    5300 is better because it is inherently faster in two ways, speed of the
    chips, and the fact that you have two identical chips means your laptop will
    function in dual channel mode (accessing both modules at the same time for
    slightly greater performance). the additional memory configuration might be
    valuable for photoshop or some games, but not overall.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 30, 2007

  3. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Chris, basically you are correct except that either way it would
    amount to dual channel since I do have 1/2 gig + the new 2 gig ram or
    just 2 new 1 gig ram chips (both pairs of matching speed).

    I know that I can also use mismatched speeds too but that my
    understanding is that it will step down to the lower speed chip.

    In any case, I got your point and thanks for the help !!

    RnR, Nov 30, 2007
  4. you need like modules for it to operate in dual channel mode. your
    inspiron e1405 has only two memory sockets. you currently have 2x512mb
    installed. it is not entirely clear what you are describing, but it sounds
    as if you are asking if it would be better to replace just one of the
    existing 512mb modules with a 2gb module, or to replace both of the two
    existing 512mb modules with 1gb ones. if that is correct then re-read what
    i wrote above.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 30, 2007
  5. one other thing. the pc2-4200 vs pc2-5300 is meaningless in this case.
    your machine will accept the faster modules but it will only run them as
    fast as it is capable, namely pc2-4200 speed. so don't let the chip speed
    confuse you as being a meaningful part of this equation. the question here
    is if you want dual channel functionality or not. the only reason why the
    pc2-5300 are being discussed is because they work in your machine and are
    less expensive than the pc2-4200 type (and becuase they are faster they
    might prove useful for some other computer further down the road - but that
    is unlikely).

    Christopher Muto, Nov 30, 2007
  6. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Correct and the 512 and 2 gb would be pc2 4200.....
    Correct again and these would be pc2 5300.

    RnR, Dec 1, 2007
  7. RnR

    RnR Guest

    I wasn't aware that the e1405 is only capable of pc2-4200 speed but as
    you pointed out the pc2 5300 is cheaper and good that this laptop can
    handle the pc2 5300 ram.

    One other point I think I misunderstood was what dual channel is but
    google and your post corrected me.

    It looks like I'll go for the two 1gb sticks rather than the one 2gb
    stick of ram.

    Thanks again Chris.

    RnR, Dec 1, 2007
  8. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Now I'm a bit more knowledgeable on ram from further reading Tom's
    Hardware and Crucial.com (for E1405).

    thanks again.

    RnR, Dec 1, 2007