Random 100% CPU Usage with an ASUS A7V8X-X

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Lee Marsh, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    Hi all,

    I have this problem... randomly for no reason after 2 - 10 minutes the CPU
    usage just goes straight to 100% and it won't go back down? this can happen
    even when the system is idle and nothing is being used on it.

    I've checked to make sure no services are running and checked for background
    tasks but its all clear, this is a new computer and was wondering if the
    power supply might be too low for the new stuff (its a 300w supply).

    The system details are as follows:

    VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 latest drivers with the ASUS A7V8X-X mobo
    SoundBlaster Live! Player 5.1
    AthlonXP 2600+
    80GB Seagate HDD
    40GB IBM HDD
    Mentor GeForceFX 5200
    Windows XP Professional slipstreamed with SP1

    Anyone know what the problem could be?

    Thanks for any help.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Lee Marsh

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    run an anti spyware like spybot might some programe not visible running in
    the background good luck

    127.0.0.1, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Lee Marsh

    Kevin Olean Guest

    Kevin Olean, Sep 7, 2003
  4. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    It turned out to be a BIOS setting causing the problems!.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 7, 2003
  5. Lee Marsh

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Great, glad to hear you found it. Just curious as to which setting was
    causing it?

    Ed Medlin

    Ed Medlin, Sep 7, 2003
  6. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    I think it was the PCI Latency was set too slow.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 9, 2003