Random Boot Problems with A7V266-E and Athlon XP 2000+ Palomino

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Pedro Lima, May 27, 2004.

  1. Pedro Lima

    Pedro Lima Guest

    I'm experiencing some random boot problems with a Asus A7V266-E
    running with 512 MB DDR and Athlon XP 2000+ Palomino.

    Once in a while the system goes into sleep mode without any kind of
    error message (I supose it's sleep mode because the power led remains
    blinking!!!).

    In the last days I have kept the Asus Probe running and I noticed
    that the CPU temp reads a limit of 64 C!

    Could it be a overheating problem?

    In order to exclude some possibilities I've changed the memory
    modules and the power suply (Q-Tec 450W PUS)...

    Can anyone help me!?

    Pedro Lima

    Pedro Lima, May 27, 2004

  2. Ive got the same board and had the same CPU,now got a Xp2400.

    Sounds like you have a heat shut down, never had that happen not sure
    the board will even do it :)

    Would help if you told me what kind of CPU cooler you have and the
    ammount of fans you got ?

    Go into the bios on bootup please DELETE key and search arrround till
    you find somthing to do with temps, its doing a good thing shutting
    down you pc if this is the problem, does this happen while playing
    games or just doing some typing ?

    Need more info, also other people will help ya, more experince than
    me, i would say.

    We Live for the One we Die for the One, May 27, 2004

  3. Pedro Lima

    Mick Guest

    HI

    The cpu temperature looks a bit high there...
    Its just possible you have the fan on the cpu the wrong way round, ' can be
    done ,I did It '
    or the thermal grease is not covering the whole of the chip.

    Either way just remove the fan , have a look at the contact area on the pad
    on the bottom of the fan if it looks odd then retry reseating it with some
    new thermal grease,
    do remove all the old pad if you put new grease on.

    just check the chip is seated in the socket evenly as well.

    Had these problems in the past, drives you nut's cos everything looks ok.

    Mick, May 27, 2004
  4. Pedro Lima

    Pedro Lima Guest

    Hi,

    First of all, I would like to thank, both suggestions.

    Recent developments concerning my problem:

    - I've added one extra case fan.
    Now it works with a Q-TEC PUS with two fans, on chassis fan, a double
    PCI slot fan and one huge Thermaltake CPU fan.

    - Yesterday I was able to keep it running (at full processor) for 2
    hours (it reached a top of 61C).

    - Then I replaced the CPU for a Athlon XP 1600+ - did the same test
    but it reached a top temp of 60C.

    With both tests the machine didn't boot.

    I've switched back the CPU and tried to increase the room temp (the
    first day I had the boot problems the average temp was 28 C and last
    night it was 21C C).
    After 2 hours in full processing I stopped it and the temp went down
    from 63C to 57C (the new fan reduced the average temp in one
    degree)... then the machine booted!!!

    The Summer is almost there and the average temp will be between 32C
    and 43C.

    Today I'm going try something else: increase the room temp with the
    athlon 1600+ CPU and Switch the PUS again (a friend of mine borrowed
    me one that works without problems).

    If it fails again I'm in a blind alley... or, to be more precise, I'm
    going to shoot the horse and buy a new one!

    Thanks again,

    Pedro Lima

    Pedro Lima, May 28, 2004
  5. Eureka!

    After two hours of full processor charge with the Athlon XP 1600+, with the
    heating system turned on (the room temp reached 42 C!), the processor
    reached 67 ºC and the chassis was reading 41 ºC... and it kept working.

    I'm going to assume that my Athlon XP 2000+ decided to give me a pain in the
    head.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Pedro Lima

    Pedro Alexandre Condeça Martins Lima, May 28, 2004
  6. My cpu is 38c at the momment :).

    We Live for the One we Die for the One, May 29, 2004