Random reboots- Bad memory? Device Driver error everytime

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by TReminga, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. TReminga

    TReminga Guest

    Here are the stats I have for my machine:
    P4 2.53ghz
    Gigabyte GA-8IHXP Rev 2.1
    4x PC1066 Samsung 512MB RDRAM rimms
    Creative Labs Live! Value
    Gainward GeForce4 128MB Ultra video
    Promise TX1000 IDE RAID card
    1x IBM 120GB Deskstar
    3x various 120GB hard drives- spanned with Promise card
    Linksys 802.11g wireless adaptor

    All drivers seem to go on fine.

    My problem:
    The system is very unstable, usually when I am using IE. I will click
    a link and presto the box will reboot itself. It usually happens once
    a day, sometimes twice. I rarely go for a day without it rebooting-
    unless the box is unused. There have been times it also reboots itself
    at night while I sleep- so it does not HAVE to be under load.

    I have run memtest86 on my memory and have found one faulty module. I
    plan to pull it out. Every time though the system reboots it comes
    back with an Microsoft Recovered from Error message. It always blames
    a Device Driver for the problem, but never tells me what device driver
    caused the error. I would have pulled the RAM already but I did not
    have the crimms to put into the slots. I am wondering if others have
    this same problem?

    Are there any other memory tests I can run besides memtest86? I
    switched the memory around and the errors continued to follow the
    stick, so I know which one it is. I have heard that there are other
    memory test apps out there.

    Would faulty memory cause Windows to report that device driver error?
    Any help would be great, I am SO sick of such a flaky box!

    TReminga, Nov 26, 2003

  2. TReminga

    TheCrewser Guest

    Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery
    Uncheck Automatically Restart

    At least now you will probably get a BSOD with an error message that
    will be easier to track down.

    Good Luck...

    GLCrews,MCP

    TheCrewser, Nov 26, 2003

  3. First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\), Nov 26, 2003
  4. TReminga

    CWatters Guest

    Fix that then see what happens.
    Depends what that faulty bit of memory is being used for I guess.

    CWatters, Nov 26, 2003
  5. TReminga

    Kent_dieGo Guest

    Hardware issues are tough to diagnose. Put sound card in different PCI slot.
    Remove PCI cards to test. Experiment with BIOS settings. Get latest BIOS.
    Run memtest86. Keep replacing parts until fixed. I have had a few
    motherboards that were just basterds, and replacing solved all trouble.\

    -Kent

    Kent_dieGo, Nov 27, 2003
  6. TReminga

    Tim Guest

    Could be h/w, could be s/w.

    As soon as I hear IE, it makes me think spyware is installed...
    Check you don't have spyware installed.
    Get Adaware or other reputable spyware remover and run it a few times...

    After you have eliminated h/w as the culprit, consider a Repair install and
    re-installation of the latest service pack along with all subsequent
    patches.

    Follow the advice already posted and make sure you can take a good look at
    the BSOD screen. Note down the STOP message - the first four lines. If a
    device driver is causing or active during the crash, it may be listed near
    the top of the blue screen (sorry, don't have a bsod in front of me to
    describe in detail). Lookup for a name such as nv4_mini.sys. If you want
    help with the STOP message, either go to http://support.microsoft.com/ and
    do a search or post back.

    The device driver listed (if any consistently) may then indicate device
    driver itself, the device (EG graphics) has a fault, or main memory. Bad
    memory can cause many types of faults.

    You may know that memtest86 can report eroneous errors in test #5. What test
    is reporting errors?

    HTH
    - Tim

    Tim, Nov 27, 2003
  7. TReminga

    Frank Guest

    FWIW
    I am having a similar problem and I have corked it down to my
    fasttrak tx4000. I was running a 0+1 RAID. It worked fine from
    about July til about three weeks ago. Scenerio as follows:
    My 4 WD drives have zeros written to them.
    Run memtest 1 pass. OK
    Run MS memory test. OK
    Install fasttrak tx4000. run memtest 1 pass OK. run MS memory test OK
    Install 4 HDDs to fasttrak tx4000 test OK
    Build array------MS memory test fails the first for test and then locks up
    Memtest86 will not fail until the second pass.
    I get the same results on 4 different boxen. GA 865PE, GA 865P, ABIT
    845PE and an Intel 440BX.
    What a RAID array has to do with memory, I don't know. I am working
    with Promise on this. I believe that they will replace my card.

    Frank, Nov 30, 2003
  8. TReminga

    Guest Guest

    It sounds like you've answered your own question.

    Bad memory will cause random hangs (and reboots if you've got windows
    configured to do so) as the PC will often go off into lala land when values
    in memory change at random.

    If memtest86 isn't passing, then you're going to have problems like this
    sooner or later.

    Replace the faulty memory.

    Guest, Dec 4, 2003
  9. TReminga

    Mr. Elbe Guest

    I had something similar happen. Problem was that the fan on the video
    card ceased rotating.

    Mr. Elbe, Dec 5, 2003
  10. TReminga

    erich Guest

    I have the same problem but my video card has no fan...I have change the Ram
    for two time....I have no idea why it do so.

    erich, Dec 15, 2003
  11. First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft.

    Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\), Dec 16, 2003
  12. TReminga

    erich Guest

    Open Event viewer:

    the service V2i non been started 'cause to error during startup.

    What??

    erich, Dec 16, 2003
  13. Makes no sense to me either. Did you run a virus scan, did you run Ad Aware
    as suggested? This does not appear to be an XP service.

    Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\), Dec 16, 2003
  14. TReminga

    erich Guest

    I have resolved this problem (V2i ), but not this:

    NAT ( Network Address Translator) non è riuscito a richiedere un'operazione
    del modulo di traduzione in modalità kernel. Errata configurazione, risorse
    insufficienti o errore interno. Il codice di errore è nei dati.

    it is in italian but you should understand the meanning...
    Have you an idea?
    thanks

    erich, Dec 19, 2003
  15. It appears to have something to do with either your network interface card
    or your network configuration. Hard to say if it's the card, the
    configuration or possibly a firewall or some other security software that
    might be interfering.

    Have you performed any of the checks I originally posted as they might help
    source the issue:

    Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\), Dec 19, 2003
  16. TReminga

    erich Guest

    thanks

    erich, Dec 21, 2003
  17. TReminga

    erich Guest

    thanks a lot, however it say that thare are no problems!
    And it is 4 day that I have no reboot!
    Bye and marry Xmas!

    erich, Dec 21, 2003
  18. You're welcome and good luck.

    Have a happy holiday.

    Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\), Dec 21, 2003
  19. TReminga

    erich Guest

    Sorry again.... it reboot itself !
    But now I saw the blue screenwith this report:
    error
    0x0000001A(0x000412841, 0x17806000,0x0000EB85,0x00503000)

    this error I have already seen, but I don't know what does it meaning!!?
    Do you have an idea?!

    erich, Dec 21, 2003
  20. TReminga

    Frank Guest