Random Shutdown Annoyance

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Big Fan, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Big Fan

    Big Fan Guest

    My PC randomly shuts down. It doesn't happen every day...it could go a
    few weeks without happening. However, it has happened twice in four
    days. I play games on my PC (Half Life 2, Doom 3 etc), but it has
    never occured during a gaming session. The Event Viewer shows nothing.

    I will be just surfing the web, or emailing...

    SYMPTOMS:
    A. PC will completely shutdown without warning.

    B. Thud from speakers, monitor & mouse shut off, but lights & fans in
    case still on. Pressing power button turns off PC, starts OK.

    C. Similar to event B., but pressing power button does not shutdown
    PC. Have to use switch on PSU to power off. Starts OK afterwards.

    I know these type of things are very difficult to diagnose. All
    drivers & BIOS are up to date.

    My PC:
    Cooler Master 450W PSU
    Shuttle AN35N w/ AMD XP3200+
    1GB Corsair DDR 3200
    MSI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Maxtor & Seagate drives
    Aopen & NEC DVD drives
    Audigy 2 sound

    Big Fan, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Big Fan

    Frank_v7.0 Guest

    Power supply a likely candidate for problem.

    Frank_v7.0, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Big Fan

    king karl Guest

    I had the same problem with my shuttle XPC while surfing the www:
    sudden outages without any warning and a restart following, as if
    nothing had happend. I finally found out that it had to do with my
    mice devices: a ps2-mouse connected by ps2-USB converter AND a
    Kensington Orbit trackball directly connected by USB. The problem was
    resolved by removing the trackball.

    king karl, Apr 10, 2005