Rare 64-bit Windows 7 HPE freezing with a spinning circular mouse cursor problems.

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Ant, Jun 23, 2011.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello!

    Once in a while and it is hard/difficult to reproduce this problem, my
    updated 64-bit W7 HPE will just freeze with an animated circular mouse
    cursor. I noticed my sound card was still playing a MP3 file just fine
    like nothing happened. Mouse cursor seems to move, but keyboard doesn't
    (lights too). I tried unplugging and reconnecting my DVI monitor and USB
    devices, no go. I did notice my monitor (single display setup) was blank
    black (video signal detected). I had to power reset my PC to get my
    display back. Maybe my monitor is going bad?

    At first, I thought it was bad RAM but the latest memtest86+ v4 detected
    no problems on both old and new ones (separately). Then, I tried
    different ATI Radeon video drivers (original driver only from Dell) and
    (latest suite from ATI). Both did not matter. Even with Driver Sweeper
    in Windows' safe mode to wipe out left overs did not seem to work. I
    seem to have all the latest driver versions and BIOS according to
    Dell.com as well.

    Has anyone else had this problem before? Is my ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500
    (according to Device Manager) video card going bad? I have seen my
    Windows frozen at its Windows login screen after reboot and leaving it
    on the whole weekend once before. I don't use power management to sleep
    for computer, monitor, and HDD.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    Quote of the Week: "For every 1 person on earth there are 1 million
    ants." --Factoid for the video of Adam Ant's "Goody Two Shoes" Pop Up

    Ant, Jun 23, 2011