Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an old ATIRadeon 4870 HD video card in a Windo

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Ant, Mar 29, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hi!

    I am having annoying, rare hard computer lock ups when it comes to
    playing videos through local files (MPEG-2 and TS) with various players
    (Media Player Classic-Home Cinema, DVB Viewer Pro, and VideoLAN Client
    (VLC) Media Player) and streaming Mozilla SeaMonkey v2.0.14 web
    browser's Flash. It's not easy to reproduce the hard crash easily since
    it is rare and random. I don't need to be using the computer with the
    videos playing to reproduce the hard lock ups too. It has been happening
    for over a year or so on this old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine
    with a MSI R4870-T2D512 OC Radeon HD (512 MB) PCIe video card from late
    2008. More details can be found in
    http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt for the primary computer.

    I tried upgrading with its various drivers and softwares, but nothing
    seems to improve and fix this problem. The only thing that seems to fix
    it is disabling video acceleration fully (none) in Windows XP Pro. I
    have not seen the hard lock ups for about a month of testings with no
    video accerelation. SP3's display properties' troubleshoot tab (no
    reboot required). However, this makes display stuff slower and choppier,
    unable to use ATI/AMD's CCC, upside down videos for some formats (e.g.,
    MPEG-2 and TS), etc. DPC Latency Checker v1.3.0 showed about 1000-2000us
    with acceleration for videos. Without acceleration, it is under 250us.
    Big differences and maybe the cause?

    Here is what I have observed and done so far over the year:
    -PC frozen hard and audio stuck (if playing audio) when playing videos
    (Flash, MPEG-2, and TS). Requires a reset button push.
    -After powering off frozen PC, its computer's front power light is still
    on but fans are off.
    -Happened when multitasking and idled (MPC-HC after 4.25, 5:37 minutes,
    hours, etc.) with SM2 (many or one tab(s)).
    -Both MPEG-2 decoders (CyberLink PowerDVD 7 and MainConcept) have choppy
    problems, but
    -Choppy video and/or audio, and desynched audio related to lock ups?
    -Froze in a noisy Marine's Aquarium screen saver once so far.
    -Resetted ATI settings to use its defaults (global and each button) in
    CCC, deleted profiles, deleted profiles.xml files, and redid profiles.
    -Disabled onboard audio in device manager and use MPC's options >
    playback > output > audio renderer > null renderer.
    -Disabled Dxdiag's audio acceleration options.
    -Unplugged speaker cables from onboard audio.
    -Uninstalled, ran Drive Sweeper, and installed latest RealTek's audio
    driver again (didn't work with previous ones)
    -Installed newer Intel chipset drivers.
    -Uninstalled K-Lite.
    -Ran four registry cleaners and three optimizers.
    -Replaced dying 500 GB HDD with a new 1 TB HDD that hold videos.
    -Happened with MPEG2, TS, and SM2's streaming Flash videos.
    -Happened in MPC-HC, DVB Viewer Pro., and VLC with recorded and live
    -MPEG-2 and TS videos only. WMV, MKV, MP4, FLV, etc. don't seem to
    reproduce the hard lock ups.
    -Happened in both single and clone (DVI + CRT TV) display with just
    playing and skipping.
    -Happened with a little as 30 minutes to a few days for Windows uptime.
    -A few minutes to four hours for playing local videos if reproduced.
    -Happened with always on power and minimal setups.
    -Happened with VGA 60 hz and 70 hz primary VGA LCD monitor.
    -Happened without ATI Stream SDK v2 Developer.
    -Happened without ATI Media Codec/Avivo.
    -Happened in cold and hot temperatures.
    -Happened in both computer usage and idled status.
    -It doesn't matter with USB versus/vs. USB+PS2 adapter for mouse.
    -Happened with and without ffdshow audio's volume increase.
    -Happened with and without bass.
    -Upgraded updated IE6 to 7 with all updates.
    -Uninstalled and installed latest K-Lite Mega Codecs.
    -Uninstalled old MPEG-2 codec and SopCast.
    -Uninstalled Firefox v2.0.0.20 and XeroBank web browser.
    -Uninstalled DVD Fab.
    -Uninstalled VMware Workstation
    -Disabled disc drives
    -Reinstalled the DirectX 9.0c June 2010.
    -Tested DirectX.
    -Reinstalled DirectX 9.0c online, but it detected I have the latest.
    -Set DirectX display to use 70hz refresh rate.
    -Changed CMOS' values (crashed after about 1.5 hours while surfing web
    and watching a WMV in MPC):
    CPU Vcore values from 1.01875 V to 1.02500
    CPU DLL Vcore from 1.375 V to 1.400 V
    DIMM Voltage from 1.100 V to 1.125 V
    -Uninstalled SilverLight v1.0.0.
    -Changed SATA HDD.
    -Disabled Catalyst AI.
    -Disabled ATI HDMI audio driver.
    -Disabled video's "Hardware Accelerator" with two notches left/down from
    maximum.
    -Disabled DVXA.
    -Disabled two dxdiag.exe/DirectX's features (can't disable DirectDraw or
    pink display): Direct3D Acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration
    -Disabled HP's startup programs.
    -Powered off speakers, CRT TV, and VCR.
    -Deleted C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM
    -Uninstalled System47 screen saver.
    -Disabled IME startups.
    -Removed VirtualEarth 3D plugin and upgraded Google Earth
    -Disabled rundll32.exe ptipbmf.dll startups.
    -Doesn't seem to related to MCD, PuTTY, SecureCRT, PopTray, Pick-A-Tag,
    and Trillians.
    -Tried disabling ATI's Video's All Settings: Automatic deinterlacing,
    dynamic contrast, and enforced smooth video playback.
    -Disconnected and replugged speaker cable
    -Uninstalled and upgraded RealTek's latest audio and network drivers.
    -Uninstalled ATI/AMD's video driver, ran Driver Sweeper, and installed
    ATI video driver with a newer one.
    -Uninstalled Koi Fish 3D screen saver.
    -Muted audio in MPC.
    -Checked inside PC. Nothing odd, just dusty. Video card was hot/warm,
    but it doesn't matter if it is cold/hot in the room.
    -Had no problems for about a month and then they came back. Weird.

    I really don't want to reinstall Windows from scratch/cleanly to fix
    this too. I am hoping someone would have some ideas to try. Maybe the
    video card is dying due to its old age? I also don't play computer games
    anymore for years, so I don't know if they will crash too. I assume they
    will if a 3D screen saver had a hard lock up before. :(

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "The ant has made himself illustrious; Through constant industry
    industrious.; So what? Would you be calm and placid; If you were full of

    Ant, Mar 29, 2012

  2. Ant

    Jim Beard Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATI Radeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    On 03/29/2012 08:58 AM, Ant wrote:
> [...]
    > -Disconnected and replugged speaker cable
    > -Uninstalled and upgraded RealTek's latest audio and network
    > drivers.
    > -Uninstalled ATI/AMD's video driver, ran Driver Sweeper, and
    > installed ATI video driver with a newer one.
    > -Uninstalled Koi Fish 3D screen saver.
    > -Muted audio in MPC.
    > -Checked inside PC. Nothing odd, just dusty. Video card was
    > hot/warm, but it doesn't matter if it is cold/hot in the room.
    > -Had no problems for about a month and then they came back. Weird.
    >
    > I really don't want to reinstall Windows from scratch/cleanly to
    > fix this too. I am hoping someone would have some ideas to try.
    > Maybe the video card is dying due to its old age? I also don't
    > play computer games anymore for years, so I don't know if they
    > will crash too. I assume they will if a 3D screen saver had a

    The recommended solution for MS Windows problems is Linux.
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu would probably be the best choice for someone
    mostly happy with Winblows.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

    Jim Beard, Mar 29, 2012

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an old ATI Radeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    > The recommended solution for MS Windows problems is Linux.
    > Ubuntu/Kubuntu would probably be the best choice for someone
    > mostly happy with Winblows.

    Not an acceptable solution since I still need Windows for graphics,
    videos, etc. I would lose all my old Windows softwares as well that I
    still use.
    --
    Quote of the Week: "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Mar 29, 2012
  4. Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an old ATI Radeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    Hi,

    I have seen posts on AVS by a resident HTPC expert suggesting a flakily
    power supply may be the cause of the problems like you are seeing.
    (11,544 posts and not a moderator.)

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=26

    Might expose your problems to more experts with better advice.

    SHF (1,082 AVS posts)

    Stephen H. Fischer, Mar 30, 2012
  5. Ant

    yukonron Guest

    It could be a resource problem. How much ram do you have? you might hav
    a rootkit trojan thats messing up your resources. Try downloading an
    runnig TDSSKILLER Anti-rootkit utilit
    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363 it's free fro
    Kaspersky. You could also check your processes in you task manager an
    disable unnecessary processes to free up some ram. You can disable the
    in your control panel or by running msconfig. I've been using windows
    64bit for quite awhile now but I seem to remember that xp 32bit can'
    use more than 3 gig's of ram. http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm S
    you might have to disable some unnecessary programs or find out what'
    causing a conflict by disabling programs by trial and error. Certai
    antivirus programs are ram hungry norton and avg use alot of ram. If al
    else fails I would upgrade to windows 7 if your system can handle it
    You won't lose your files and programs as long as you don't do a clea
    install. I've heard alot of windows 7bashing on this forum by people wh
    don't know it but Ive been using it for over a year now and it's wa
    better than x

    yukonron, Mar 30, 2012
  6. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATI Radeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    Interesting. I have had this Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 watts ATX12V/EPS12V
    SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC power supply
    since end of 2010 when it was new. Also, why would having video
    acceleration cause these rare lock ups when having none doesn't?

    On 3/29/2012 4:08 PM PT, Stephen H. Fischer typed:

    --
    "Ants live safely till they have gotten wings." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Mar 30, 2012
  7. Ant

    Jim Beard Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATI Radeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    Perhaps more heat generated due to more intense processing
    activity? Or the extra current draw exceeding the power supply's
    ability to consistently provide?

    But a 650-watt power supply really should not have such problems.
    Of course, it is possible for the voltage/current on a specific
    set of rails to be out of spec while the rest of the thing is
    fine. A bad connection could do that. But I would not fool
    around with a power supply unless I knew exactly what I was
    doing, even with the thing disconnected from the mains.

    Puzzling.

    jim b.

    Jim Beard, Mar 30, 2012
  8. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATIRadeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    I have 6 GB of RAM. I already scanned with the latest versions of and
    updated MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware, The Cleaner,
    SpyBot S&D, and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (mrt.exe's full
    scan). I highly doubt it is those. Why would I have no hard lock up
    problems with the video acceleration completely disabled?

    FYI, uninstalling and clearing out left overs to downgrade back to v9.7
    driver did not fix the problem. Currently with the latest v12.3 driver,
    I am underclocking my GPU clock settings to 500 MHz and memory clock
    settings to 500 Mhz through enabled AMD Overdrive to see if that fix it
    since we know having video acceleration is making my PC lock up hard.
    They are the lowest I can go.

    Now, I noticed loading, unloading, and playing embedded Flash videos
    show flickers with these low values. I don't mind them if it fixes my
    lock ups! So far so good after five hours, but it it still too early...

    On 3/29/2012 6:55 PM PT, yukonron typed:

    --
    "Ants can lift up to 50 times their own weight. And your monitor is
    missing. Time to bring out the bugspray." --BBspot's Geek Horoscopes

    Ant, Apr 1, 2012
  9. Ant

    testeur Guest

    Do you have more than 4 cores on your processor ?

    There is a bug in this case in DirectX that may crash the system

    => apply fix WindowsXP-KB953028-x86-ENU.exe

    Olivier

    testeur, May 4, 2012
  10. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATIRadeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    On 5/4/2012 1:12 PM PT, testeur typed:

    > Do you have more than 4 cores on your processor ?
    >
    > There is a bug in this case in DirectX that may crash the system
    >
    > => apply fix WindowsXP-KB953028-x86-ENU.exe

    I have four cores + HT cores. Does that count?
    --
    o/~ All the little ants are marching, red and black antennae waving...
    they all do it the same... they all do it the same... way... o/~ --Ants

    Ant, May 4, 2012
  11. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATIRadeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    On 5/4/2012 3:12 PM PT, Ant typed:

    >> Do you have more than 4 cores on your processor ?
    >>
    >> There is a bug in this case in DirectX that may crash the system
    >>
    >> => apply fix WindowsXP-KB953028-x86-ENU.exe

    > I have four cores + HT cores. Does that count?

    According to it, my current installed Windows XP Pro. SP3's files show
    its D3d9.dll as v5.3.2600.5512 and dated 4/14/2008 5:41 AM. How do I get
    this KB file? I don't see an option to download it. :(

    Confused!
    --
    "Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a subtle
    blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,

    Ant, May 4, 2012
  12. Ant

    testeur Guest

    testeur, May 5, 2012
  13. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATIRadeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    On 5/5/2012 3:03 AM PT, testeur typed:

    > See : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953028

    Thanks. I missed its tiny download link at the top. I hope this works
    (had to reboot for it)! I wonder why MS never released it in its
    official updated DirectX 9.0c and/or MS Updates if it came out in 2008! :/
    --
    "A centipede is an ant made to Canadian/government specs." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, May 5, 2012
  14. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATIRadeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    On 5/4/2012 3:12 PM PT, Ant typed:

    >> Do you have more than 4 cores on your processor ?
    >>
    >> There is a bug in this case in DirectX that may crash the system
    >>
    >> => apply fix WindowsXP-KB953028-x86-ENU.exe

    > I have four cores + HT cores. Does that count?

    Nope, that hotfix did not fix the problem. I finally got a lock up
    overnight after 31 minutes of playing a MPEG-2 video. :(
    --
    "Why would you want a glow in the dark ant farm?" --Leonard; "They do
    some of their best work at night." --Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory

    Ant, May 10, 2012
  15. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATIRadeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    On 5/10/2012 3:11 AM PT, Ant typed:

    >>> Do you have more than 4 cores on your processor ?
    >>>
    >>> There is a bug in this case in DirectX that may crash the system
    >>>
    >>> => apply fix WindowsXP-KB953028-x86-ENU.exe

    >> I have four cores + HT cores. Does that count?

    > Nope, that hotfix did not fix the problem. I finally got a lock up
    > overnight after 31 minutes of playing a MPEG-2 video. :(

    Boo! I just had another lock up, but this time it was from a HQ MP4
    video file! Sheesh! Disabling VPU doesn't fix it so back to very low
    clock cycles tests. [sighs]
    --
    "We now go live to Ollie Williams in Channel 5 traffic chopper. What's
    scene?" --Tom Tucker. "Everyone looks like ants!" "That is probably

    Ant, May 12, 2012
  16. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATIRadeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    On 5/10/2012 3:11 AM PT, Ant typed:

    >>> Do you have more than 4 cores on your processor ?
    >>>
    >>> There is a bug in this case in DirectX that may crash the system
    >>>
    >>> => apply fix WindowsXP-KB953028-x86-ENU.exe

    >> I have four cores + HT cores. Does that count?

    > Nope, that hotfix did not fix the problem. I finally got a lock up
    > overnight after 31 minutes of playing a MPEG-2 video. :(

    Boo! I just had another lock up, but this time it was from a HQ MP4
    video file! Sheesh! Disabling VPU doesn't fix it so back to very low
    clock cycles tests. [sighs] Also, I am still using this hotfix. So two
    times already. :(
    --
    "God is a mean kid sitting on an ant-hill with a magnifying glass, and
    I'm the ant." --Bruce Nolan (Bruce Almighty movie)

    Ant, May 12, 2012
  17. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATI Radeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    FYI, it is related to video acceleration. If I completely disable it
    through XP SP3's display properties, then no more hard lock ups for
    months. Obviously, display performances, videos, etc. don't work or
    slowly. I am using that as a temporary workaround for now.

    On 3/29/2012 5:58 AM PT, Ant typed:

    --
    "... Let's go pour these (peas from a can) onto an anthill I've found."
    --Strong Bad (Witness the Cheatar! episode)

    Ant, Sep 8, 2012
  18. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATI Radeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    I forgot to follow up! OK, downgrading back to v8.10 showed no more lock
    ups AND no time/clock slow downs with DVI when playing videos. Over
    Christmas 2012 break, I narrowed the driver down to v9.4 that was the
    last driver that did not have problems. :/ I could not figure out what
    caused these problems in v9.5 release notes. :(

    On 9/8/2012 11:03 AM PT, Ant typed:

    --
    "... human societies send their young men to war, weaver-ant societies
    send their old ladies." --Wilson and Holldobler

    Ant, Jan 5, 2013
  19. Ant

    Ed Light Guest

    On 1/4/2013 11:15 PM, Ant wrote:
    > I forgot to follow up! OK, downgrading back to v8.10 showed no more lock
    > ups AND no time/clock slow downs with DVI when playing videos. Over
    > Christmas 2012 break, I narrowed the driver down to v9.4 that was the
    > last driver that did not have problems. :/ I could not figure out what
    > caused these problems in v9.5 release notes. :(

    Have you tried 12.4?
    Are you uninstalling the old drivers in the Win XP program uninstall
    list, rebooting, then installing the new one?
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jan 7, 2013
  20. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an old ATI Radeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

    I forgot to follow up on this old issue! Ever since Christmas eve
    (12/24) in 2012, I finally found the highest old driver version to use
    to fix my other issues as shown in
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33994195 ... I have been
    using v9.4.

    So far, I only have had two hard lock ups while surfing the web right
    after watching Flash videos in my Mozilla's SeaMonkey v2.x web browsers.
    None during any videos so far. The latest incident was last night when I
    had corrupted mouse cursor since yesterday morning (did not feel like
    rebooting). I had this rare corrupted mouse issue for over four years
    IIRC. I don't know if they are related. I did notice changing video
    acceleration one notch lower fixes it. Putting it back to max again,
    then makes it corrupted again.

    At least the hard lock ups were way less than before with the newer
    drivers.

    Ant <> wrote:

> [...]

    > -Disconnected and replugged speaker cable
    > -Uninstalled and upgraded RealTek's latest audio and network drivers.
    > -Uninstalled ATI/AMD's video driver, ran Driver Sweeper, and installed
    > ATI video driver with a newer one.
    > -Uninstalled Koi Fish 3D screen saver.
    > -Muted audio in MPC.
    > -Checked inside PC. Nothing odd, just dusty. Video card was hot/warm,
    > but it doesn't matter if it is cold/hot in the room.
    > -Had no problems for about a month and then they came back. Weird.

    > I really don't want to reinstall Windows from scratch/cleanly to fix
    > this too. I am hoping someone would have some ideas to try. Maybe the
    > video card is dying due to its old age? I also don't play computer games
    > anymore for years, so I don't know if they will crash too. I assume they
    > will if a 3D screen saver had a hard lock up before. :(

    Quote of the Week: "Even the ant has his (her) bite." --Turkish

    Ant, Mar 28, 2013