Rcvd Outlet X410, only Recognizes 3G RAM

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Journey, Mar 15, 2007.

  1. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I received my "scratch and dent" XPS 410 today. I couldn't find any
    scratches or dents on it.

    There is a problem that I can't figure out. Google may be my friend
    but I thought I'd ask here too.

    The system has 4G RAM. Vista reports 3G RAM. I opened the case and
    there is 4G RAM.

    I took 1G RAM out. On bootup, I had to hit F1 because system said RAM
    changed. Even though I took 1G RAM out, and even though a RAM change
    was detected, Vista still reported 3G RAM.

    As expected, I put the 1G RAM back, the system reported a RAM change,
    but Vista still reported 3G RAM.

    Any help / insights are appreciated. Thank you.

    Journey, Mar 15, 2007

  2. Journey

    Pen Guest

    You're not alone, lots of same troubles;
    scroll about half way down this Dell blog to a Lionel Menchaca about
    this problem.
    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2006/11/27/3782.aspx
    also from MS.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137/en-us

    Pen, Mar 15, 2007

  3. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Well, I did some Googling, and there are a ton of threads out there
    about Vista recognizing less than the 4G of RAM.

    Here's the best link I found. Even though the OP specifies XP Pro, it
    seems to refer to 32-bit MS OS's.

    http://tinyurl.com/27mxru

    3G is enough for me but I am a little disappointed. The link talkes
    about PCI devices taking up memory, even though a video card, for
    example, has onboard memory (which mine does).

    I didn't buy the PC for the RAM though. I'm happy with the 2.4Ghz
    Core 2 Duo with 4M cache which was a main criteria for choosing it.

    Journey, Mar 15, 2007
  4. Journey

    Journey Guest

    A few more issues with the shipping product that others have reported:

    - The initial boot doesn't work (at least for some users). It asks
    whether to boot normally or go into "Repair Mode (recommended)". Too
    bad Dell ships some computers that start that way.

    - The ATI Radeon X1300 Pro driver is way out of date and causes
    pop-up errors to appear. In order to stop them, just install the
    newest software (called Catalyst) from the ATI site.

    Journey, Mar 15, 2007
  5. Journey

    RnR Guest

    Ok, this is my help.
    Let me take it off your hands and let me worry about it <g>.

    RnR, Mar 15, 2007
  6. Journey

    Jay B Guest

    i wouldnt worry about it.
    i have the same problem with 4gb ram in an optiplex running XP.
    has nothing to do with vista. it even does this on my xp-64 bit.

    i think i read somewhere that any one program can only address 3mb or
    so. if you run a program like everest, it properly reports 4gb
    installed. perhaps the OS knows how to use it.

    Jay B, Mar 15, 2007
  7. Journey

    paulmd Guest

    I'm disappointed, I thought Vista would have overcome this limit. It's
    been an XP bug since forever.

    It won't be but a few more years before the photoshoppers will ALL
    want more than 4gb of Ram. And Even some games will demand it.

    paulmd, Mar 15, 2007
  8. Journey

    RnR Guest

    Not to rain on your parade but should photoshop require more than 3gb
    ram to run on MS, how will it know how much ram is required if it
    can't run on MS to begin with? Am I missing something (I am not a
    programmer) or is this a contradiction? That said, I think if the OS
    limit is still imposed, authors will be forced to write tighter code
    to work around the problem for a while (kinda like the 640k limit
    years ago) which to me isn't a bad thing because I think a lot of
    programs run slower due to bloated code.

    RnR, Mar 15, 2007
  9. Journey

    Journey Guest

    There is a lot of information out there, much of it conflicting, even
    by the experts. Some of it says that Vista still benefits from the 4G
    by improving system processes. Others note that PCI devices map to
    memory.

    Microsoft isn't very clear on its knowledgebase and in tech support
    communication to individuals. In one tech. response, the MS rep said
    that it was a "marketing decision".

    In one of the knowledgebase articles, MS gives a command that can be
    executed. There is no boot.ini with Vista as I understand it, and the
    command lets Vista use the 4G RAM. This is contradictory though to
    info. about PCI mapping to memory. The MS article doesn't give a
    command to set it back in case there are problems.

    As a side note, I often research something until I get just enough
    information to make it useful. In this case, I got just enough
    information to determine that I don't want to be in the population of
    users who spend their life energy on something that isn't addressed
    clearly anywhere. I'll just use what I have and enjoy it rather than
    bemoan that Vista <might> not be making use of all the RAM.

    It's a different story though for someone making a new purchase or
    deciding whether or how much RAM to upgrade their system with.

    Journey, Mar 16, 2007
  10. The Dell link includes the following info re: XPS700

    #
    XPS 700 Motherboard Exchange Program

    Fri. Mar 09, 2007
    Neil Hand, VP Worldwide Consumer Marketing

    In late May last year, we launched the XPS 700. Many customers purchased
    it, anticipating strong performance along with an upgrade path to future
    technology.

    At Dell, our number one goal is to delight our customers with our
    products and services. As anyone who reads Direct2Dell knows, we did not
    do that for some of our XPS 700 customers. On behalf of Dell, I want to
    apologize for that. We have taken steps to improve your experience.

    So what have we learned from this? First, where the chipset is
    concerned, XPS 7xx-class customers want more information on what
    features we do and do not support in our implementation. Take a look at
    the chipset section of the XPS 710 Tech Specs page. Second, if we do
    experience significant delays, it’s important for us to give customers
    more detailed insight as to the causes where we can. So, what’s next?
    We want to show XPS 700 customers our appreciation for sticking with us
    throughout this process—we appreciate your business.

    BIOS Update Coming Soon

    The current version of the XPS 700 BIOS added Windows XP 64 support and
    enabled Intel’s Virtualization Technology (VT). To build on that, we
    will publish an update to the XPS 700 BIOS in the next few weeks. After
    applying the BIOS update, your XPS 700 will support the following features:

    * NVIDIA SLI-Ready (Enhanced Performance Profile) Memory
    * BIOS overclocking for the Extreme processors (Reminder:
    overclocking can cause system instability and reduce operating life)
    * RAID 5
    * RAID 1 + 0

    The BIOS update cannot enable support for Intel Quad-Core processors.

    XPS 700 Motherboard Exchange Program

    Since the early days of Direct2Dell, many XPS 700 customers have asked
    Dell for an upgrade path. Back in December, Lionel blogged about this,
    saying we had not made a decision. That changes today.

    To show our gratitude for your patience, we will offer all XPS 700
    customers worldwide a choice of upgrade paths to Dell’s next-generation
    of XPS gaming motherboards. Now here they are:

    Motherboard Exchange Options:

    * Motherboard exchange AND a discounted quad-core processor: Later
    this year, we will offer XPS 700 customers the option to exchange your
    original motherboard with Dell’s next-generation XPS gaming motherboard
    bundled with a quad-core processor at an 25% discount off our
    Electronics and Accessories quad-core processor price at the time of
    purchase. This option will be available to XPS 700 customers for sixty
    days following our rollout of the motherboard exchange program later
    this year. We will make the motherboard and the installation available
    to these customers at no cost. To streamline the process, all
    motherboard exchanges will be done by Dell-authorized onsite service
    technicians. We will offer the processor discount at the time you
    schedule your on-site appointment for the motherboard exchange.
    Additional pricing details have not yet been determined.

    * Motherboard exchange at no cost: Later this year, we will offer
    XPS 700 customers the option to exchange their original motherboard for
    Dell’s next-generation XPS gaming motherboard. We will make the
    motherboard and the installation available to these customers at no
    charge. To streamline the process, all motherboard exchanges will be
    done by Dell-authorized onsite service technicians.

    Since both motherboard exchange options involve a next-generation
    product, there are some details I can’t discuss at this point. We will
    share more information later this year—appreciate your patience. In that
    same timeframe, XPS 710 customers will also have the option to purchase
    a parts bundle that includes an upgrade to Dell’s next-generation
    motherboard as well as installation service. Pricing has not yet been
    determined.

    We remain committed to addressing your concerns. In subsequent posts,
    Lionel will blog about other XPS 700 customer questions and issues.

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 16, 2007
  11. Journey

    Phil Guest

    If I understand correctly, 32-bit operating systems have a maximum memory
    address space of 4GB, part of which will be allocated to various resources,
    like the PCI bus and the videocard. The only way you're going to get full
    use of 4GB of RAM is to migrate to a 64-bit operating system.

    -phil

    Phil, Mar 16, 2007
  12. Phil wrote:

    I guess, don't know the details here.
    Don't follow you here. If the computer has 4GB of RAM, then a 64 bit OS
    makes no difference because PCI devices, video cards, etc., must still
    be mapped into the 4GB.

    I got curious what the new limit was with 64 bit memory:

    The emergence of the 64-bit architecture effectively increases the
    memory ceiling to 264 addresses, equivalent to 17,179,869,184 gigabytes
    or 16 exbibytes of RAM.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 16, 2007
  13. Journey

    Tom Lake Guest

    Don't follow you here. If the computer has 4GB of RAM, then a 64 bit OS
    Yes but the total addressing limit on a 64-bit OS is greater than 4 GB so
    the
    RAM that was moved above the 4 GB mark can still be used. With a 32-bit
    OS, any RAM moved above 4 GB is not seen at all and is wasted, not used
    for buffers or anything as some here have suggested.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 16, 2007
  14. What RAM moved above the 4GB mark? How does one move RAM, anyway?

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 17, 2007