RDRAM ECC vs. Non-ECC Memory -- Can they be mixed (in separate slots)?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steven O., Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Steven O.

    Steven O. Guest

    I am upgrading a computer that uses RDRAM (Rambus) memory. One pair
    of slots on the motherboard is filled, and I have found matching RDRAM
    on E-bay. The only thing is, I'm not sure whether what it's the
    computer now is Error-Corrrecting, and also not sure if the chips I
    want to buy are error correcting.

    Assuming everything else matches (same bus speed and refresh rate), is
    it okay to have one pair of memory chips that are error-correcting,
    and another pair that are not? Would the motherboard care either way?

    (My best guess is that the current configuration is probably not
    error-correcting, so then the question would be, is it okay to add a
    second pair of memory chips that are error correcting?)

    Thanks in advance for all replies.

    Steve O.

    "Spying On The College Of Your Choice" -- How to pick the college that is the Best Match for a high school student's needs.
    www.SpyingOnTheCollegeOfYourChoice.com

    Steven O., Jan 8, 2005

  2. Steven O.

    Bob Day Guest

    Usually not, but consult your mainboard manual. Note, however,
    that the ECC feature will not be operational if any of the memory is
    non-ECC.

    -- Bob Day
    http://bobday.vze.com

    Bob Day, Jan 9, 2005

  3. Steven O.

    Steven O. Guest

    Hi, Bob. Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, due to the way I worded
    my questions, and the brevity of your reply, I'm a little unclear on
    your answer. Did you mean:

    (a) "Usually not" -- The motherboard will NOT care, and the ECC and
    non-ECC memory probably WILL be happy together, or

    (b) "Usually not" -- It is NOT okay to have ECC and non-ECC together,
    that is, they probably WILL NOT be happy together.

    Thanks in advance for clarification. As for the manual -- if either
    the manual or Gateway tech support had been helpful, I would not be
    poking around here for answers. (I did try them both....)

    Regards,

    Steven O., Jan 9, 2005
  4. This is usually the case.

    DS