    things) to the top 1GB of memory, and subtracts this memory
    from the displayed total. There is no way to disable this mapping.

    (sorry if this message posts twice, my ISP sucks)

    Mike Foss, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Mike Foss

    Drew Guest

    Why then doesn't the OS show only 1 GB when I had 2?

    Drew, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Mike Foss

    Mike Foss Guest

    It's just the way XP was designed. If you display the memory map
    of a 2GB system you'll still see the PCI address space mapped to
    the top of memory.

    Mike Foss, Oct 20, 2005
  4. Mike Foss

    - HAL9000 Guest

    I think you're confusing virtual memory with physical memory. Nothing
    should be added or subtracted to the physical memory "total" when it
    is displayed to the user.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    - HAL9000, Oct 21, 2005
  5. Mike Foss

    Mike Foss Guest

    Mike Foss, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Mike Foss

    0_Qed Guest

    <VBG>

    Whoosh !!
    RE: ==> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=888137

    That M$ ?techie? article writer
    musta got his/her expository training =INSIDE= the Beltway !!! ...
    or ...
    some out_sourced "help_desk" school ;
    and
    really needs to get his/her "Cert" in =ESL= , quick in a hurry.

    Sheesh !

    I read "it" ,
    after which ,
    my Transparent Aluminum Helmut(TAH) collapsed in utter turmoil ...
    and further,
    faded away into another dimension.
    <tear>

    I guess I wuz expecting sensible, clear elucidation of 'fact' ...
    as opposed to
    spin, smoke , & mirrors.

    'Now' ...
    can somebody please explain_me whot
    .. the =real= down & dirty situation =is= ,
    as opposed to ...
    .. a foggy 'discourse' on what was/is "reported" by the M$ ?report?
    screens
    ???
    Pretty Please ???

    Dontcha just LOVE M$ advisory messages ???

    At least the old "rm", of Unix old ,
    went about it's binus properly ,
    in peace & total quiet ... no reporting/advisories ...
    except for "that" sometimes annoying 'clik_clik' of the HD heads.
    Ya got whot ya asked for ... a clean disk, in some cases of
    in_attentiveness.
    Dont 'ask'.

    =Admittedly= ... my "stuff" is hard to fathom ...
    no argumment ... zero_nada_none ...
    but ...
    "that" one is a real 'pisser' ...
    kinda like tits on a boar hog.

    Qed.

    PS-
    .. I =really= tried hard to understand what was 'presented' ...
    .. nfw ...
    .. a total obfurscation.
    .. GeeDubya coulda done better_er.

    :)

    /end rant/
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Oct 22, 2005
  7. Mike Foss

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Err, ahh, thanks for the link, I think.

    The existence of "PAE mode" is a terrible reason to longer report
    physical memory as the amount that you actually have installed. This
    looks like a screw up to me that got by someone.

    Qed, the "Cause" part seems like the only part that doesn't assume in
    depth knowledge on the reader's part.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Oct 22, 2005
  8. Mike Foss

    0_Qed Guest

    - HAL9000 wrote:

    ]...snip...

    Thanks for the reply.

    I was 'weened' on Big Boo , big_iron manuals ... spoiled indeed.

    I have a friend, an English Major turned Tech Writer ...
    totally absorbed with 'form', while the 'content' suffers .
    I can compare her 'product' with the designer's advisory ...
    Other than the 'alphabet' used ... no corrolation.

    "That" KB article was a good example ,
    something got lost in the 'anglicization' ... IMHO.

    Anyway ...
    I'm still baffled " whot it said ".

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Oct 22, 2005
  9. Mike Foss

    D Larsen Guest

    O-QED,

    I can't help but jump in here....I'm an "engineer" who develops training
    courses for the youngsters...trying to pass along my years of wisdom <g>
    in a format they can grasp...the education weenies have laden us with
    all this "adult learning" crap, "form vs. content"....so we end up
    putting out a product that is like you say....only the alphabet is the
    same <g> !

    Great email !

    Dean...

    D Larsen, Oct 22, 2005
  10. Mike Foss

    0_Qed Guest

    Seems your 'funny bone' still reverberates ... :)

    Build your 'courses' in the style of Quaker furniture ,
    proper 'form' will =always= result from(follow) a clear 'function'.

    Qed

    0_Qed, Oct 23, 2005
  11. Mike Foss

    Drew Guest

    But does XP even use it? How can 4 DIMMS in dual channel mode,
    (according to CPU-Z and BIOS) only add up to 3 GB?

    Drew, Oct 25, 2005
  12. Mike Foss

    Mike Foss Guest

    XP does use it. It maps PCI address space, among other things
    downward from 4GB to 3GB.

    Mike Foss, Oct 25, 2005