Re: A Computer Upgrade Query

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Stephen Smith, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Jerome Morrow <> said:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Please accept my apologises if this question has been raised before.
    >
    > I have a PIII 850, Asus CUV4X PC133 AGP Pro/4X motherboard, 512MB RAM,
    > Western Digital 40mb (8mb buffer) HD, and a Creative GF2MX 32 MB. I'm not
    > too sure what kind of power supply I have. I also have a Soundblaster Live
    > Value card and a cable broadband internet connection.
    >
    > One of my friends passed me a Asus GF4Ti 4800 graphics card - $165.
    >
    > Seems the CPU is too weak to handle the graphics card. Is it correct to
    > say the new graphics card is an overkill? Should I return the GF4Ti and
    > save up to upgrade the whole system?

    I'm not too familiar with GF4's but "too weak"? What
    circumstances/situations draw you to this conclusion? It's a bit vague.

    I would have thought the CPU would be fine, maybe it's a PSU issue?

    Not sure if this is a "fair" comparison, but for what it's worth, I've
    successfully used a GF3 with a "slow" PII 400 system. (complete with a 250W
    (!) PSU!)

    Stephen.

    Stephen Smith, Jul 18, 2003