    Just checked back through the postings and the last post from Ben was on the
    30th December 2010.

    Bruce

    Bruce Varney, Apr 5, 2011

  2. Bruce Varney

    Just me Guest

    Looks like everyone is moving on (where to?). I hope that's what's up
    with Ben and that it's not something more serious.

    George

    Just me, Apr 5, 2011

  3. Bruce Varney

    Bob Villa Guest

    I emailed Ben and he returned one quickly. He has been very busy
    working and had problems with his newsreader (and did not find time
    for a replacement). He should be back in a week or two.

    Bob Villa, Apr 6, 2011
  4. Bruce Varney

    Ben Myers Guest

    Just now, I subscribed to the Dell group thru Google. Has to be more
    stable than Thunderbird, which was serious disappointment, so I
    stopped using it. Kept crashing... Ben

    Ben Myers, Apr 6, 2011
  5. Bruce Varney

    Steve W. Guest

    Hmm, what OS and platform? I've been running it for many years and no
    crashes that were not a result of a screw up on my part.

    Steve W., Apr 6, 2011
  6. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message

    Just now, I subscribed to the Dell group thru Google. Has to be more
    stable than Thunderbird, which was serious disappointment, so I
    stopped using it. Kept crashing... Ben

    Ben,

    Pleased to hear you are OK and nothing more than software problems

    Bruce

    Bruce Varney, Apr 6, 2011
  7. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    I've used Thunderbird since v1.5 and I still dislike it. The only reason
    why I use it because there are portable versions and on Linux, it isn't
    as bad as the others. Here are some complains I have about Thunderbird.

    - No show replies to my posts (CTRL-H)
    - Header view doesn't update highlighted one while moving through
    messages
    - Global filters never worked
    - F, B, N, and P keys are stupid for jumping from one message to
    another. Arrow keys has been around for 30 years now, why not use them?
    - Can't view any messages while it is downloading headers
    - No sorting for subscribed newsgroups (folder pane)
    - Abbreviates newsgroups which is hard to tell which is which
    - Marking a post with a star is very hard to see the star
    - No global signature, must set it up for every sever
    - Offline you can download none or all, no other options
    - Terrible on 800x480 screens (especially in editing)

    BillW50, Apr 6, 2011
  8. Bruce Varney

    Ann Watson Guest

    This, at least, can be fixed by installing the "Manually Sort Folders"
    extension.
    A theme change might help here.

    Ann Watson, Apr 6, 2011
  9. Bruce Varney

    Cmplx80 Guest

    Ben, Great to see you back.
    The trick I use with Thunderbird is to avoid Version 3.* like the
    plague. I'm running Version 2.0.0.24 on XP, Vista, and Windows 7 with no
    problems.

    Frank

    Cmplx80, Apr 6, 2011
  10. Bruce Varney

    Steve W. Guest

    One item that I have never heard of. But easy to set up through an add in
    can be changed in the advanced settings
    Mine work fine, might be the way you set them up
    Don't use hot-keys myself but I believe those are Linux normal keys IE:
    F- forward, B- back, N- Next unread, P- previous unread
    Must be due to the speed of your download I can read messages while it
    downloads headers just fine.
    sort folders extension allows this.
    OR
    1. Close Thunderbird.
    2. Go to the "News" folder in your profile folder.
    3. Make a temporary backup copy of the "<account-name>.rc" file
    Easy to switch in the configuration editor so you can read the entire
    newsgroup.
    user_pref ("mail.server.default.abbreviate", false);

    can be changed in themes
    Depends on how you set it up during install. However I use different
    ones for different accounts anyway.
    Don't use offline so I don't know.
    VERY strange resolution, what are you using?

    Steve W., Apr 6, 2011
  11. You're referring to Tom Scales who most of us suspected was a Dell
    plant for many years?

    And who disappeared overnight because his paymasters assigned him to a
    different task?

    I don't think Ben is in that type of category.

    Rasta Pickles, Apr 10, 2011
  12. Bruce Varney

    Just me Guest

    No, no, no . . . I didn't even know anything about the incident you
    mentioned. A lot of veteran members of online communities I belong to
    have left in recent years because of health issues. I merely was
    hoping that Ben didn't fall into that category, and I was quite happy
    to hear that he wasn't\isn't.

    George

    Just me, Apr 10, 2011
  13. Bruce Varney

    Bob Villa Guest

    All these nice folks giving you advice on TB and no feedback? What's
    up Bill?

    Bob Villa, Apr 13, 2011
  14. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    Yeah things are not going well with TB Bob. Why do you ask?

    BillW50, Apr 14, 2011
  15. Bruce Varney

    RnR Guest

    what is TB ?

    RnR, Apr 14, 2011
  16. Bruce Varney

    Bob Villa Guest

    T-Bird.

    Bob Villa, Apr 14, 2011
  17. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Mozilla Thunderbird. It is a free email and newsgroup reader. It is a
    Netscape open source spin off.

    BillW50, Apr 14, 2011
  18. Bruce Varney

    Bob Villa Guest

    Ann,cmplx80,and Steve made suggestions on TB...and you did not
    respond. That is all.

    Bob Villa, Apr 14, 2011
  19. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    I am still working on TB Bob. The most important is first on the list
    (Show Replies to my Messages). And that one bugs me the most. And using
    TB for four years it still doesn't work correctly. The best I could get
    TB to do is to flag my posts (through filters) as a watched thread and
    that is all. That is a start, but I want to see replies to my posts and
    TB doesn't understand this. Yet all of the info is all in the headers.

    Also TB seems like it uses a single thread for everything. Yes probably
    not so, but it freezes a lot of the time. Like when it is downloading
    headers, most of the time the hour glass shows and you can't do
    anything. It even hangs the XP keyboard buffer until it is done. Only
    poorly written programs do that.

    TB I can't run a filter (aka rule) manually on a newsgroup. As the
    option is always grayed out. Thus if you want a filter existing headers,
    you can't. You must download all of the headers all over again and then
    it works. Some of my newsgroups have over 100,000 headers. Even with
    broadband, it takes awhile. If you use dialup, better let it run all
    night just for a single newsgroup.

    I admit that OE6 is far from perfect. And OE-QuoteFix helps OE out a
    lot. But what OE does right, it is far superior to anything else I have
    ever used. Too bad it doesn't run under Linux, Vista or Windows 7
    though. ;-)

    BillW50, Apr 14, 2011
  20. Bruce Varney

    Leala Guest