  1. Bruce Varney

    olfart Guest

    TenderBoobs

    olfart, Apr 14, 2011

  2. Bruce Varney

    RnR Guest

    I didn't read the entire thread but why not try a different software
    like a real newsreader unless its about being free??? I like Forte
    Agent but there are others.

    RnR, Apr 15, 2011

  3. Bruce Varney

    Ben Myers Guest

    Since I started this thread with my non-presence on this newsgroup for
    a while, I guess I can comment on news readers, too. I've been
    happily reading this newsgroup for a couple of weeks via Google groups
    and Firefox. No fuss, no muss, no bother. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 15, 2011
  4. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    Well I have used many different newsreaders, including Forte Agent.
    And only Microsoft's newsreaders sport show replies to my posts view.
    I wonder why the rest just doesn't get it? Who wouldn't want that
    view?

    The best others can do is to use filters and mark your posts as a
    watched thread. But it just isn't the same and it is far more clumsy
    than it should be.
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Forte Agent 6
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    BillW50, Apr 15, 2011
  5. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    As long as you can put up with all of those ads, which Google makes
    mucho bucks off of people using their service. Plus how can you flag,

    BillW50, Apr 15, 2011
  6. Bruce Varney

    Bob Villa Guest

    I see no ads using FF. And if Ben says, "...no bother." I guess that's
    done with.

    Bob Villa, Apr 15, 2011
  7. Bruce Varney

    RnR Guest

    I see my replies, quotes, etc.. in FA. Are you sure you are setting
    up your newsreaders correctly? I think you need to stick with a real
    newsreader. There are some that have been around for ages so I think
    they've worked out the kinks and I know FA has a decent support group
    (well to be honest I haven't checked lately so let me correct myself
    and say they did and may still have). I don't mean to plug FA as
    there are other good ones too... my point is I think you need a real
    newsreader. No offense to Ben but web readers just can't hold a
    candle to real newsreaders. One other point and maybe this doesn't
    apply but whichever you choose, it takes a while to master it so you
    need to give it adequate time to be fair.

    RnR, Apr 15, 2011
  8. Bruce Varney

    RnR Guest

    I'm sure you've been around the net / bbs's as long as I have and you
    know a web reader can't compare to a real newsreader for power/
    features <grin>.

    Regardless, and this applies to everyone else since Ben already knows
    this..... whatever works for you, stick with it. Long time ago, a
    lot of flame wars started over which newsreader was best and I don't
    want to rehash that. Really the best newsreader is what works for you
    not me, Ben or someone else.

    RnR, Apr 15, 2011
  9. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    Yes! I see them too under any reader. But I can't see just them and
    ignore the rest. Everything is in the headers to do the job, but
    nobody uses it in newsreaders except Microsoft. All you have to do is
    to remember the references from the owner's posts and have a toggle to
    show just them only. Which also shows anybody who replies to those
    posts (since they too have the same references). It is so easy to do.
    Yet they only use them for threads and they stop there. Why?
    I haven't seen any real newsreaders since 1992. Where are they? That
    is when they switched over to the GUI interface and lost all of the
    great features. And they haven't been back yet.

    Remember back then they didn't try to reinvent the composition editor.
    As they rather allowed you to plug in your own favorite editor
    instead. So when you went to reply, your favorite text editor / word
    processor would pop up with all of the test inserted. And when you
    were done you saved and exited. Then it was back in your reader once
    again in your outbox. ;-)

    BillW50, Apr 16, 2011
  10. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    I haven't seen any decent newsreaders in about 20 years now. And I tried
    many like; XNews, Forte Agent, Netscape, Thunderbird, Dialog, etc. Hell
    they can't even clean up the quotes correctly either.

    At least with OE-QuoteFix, it is much easier to clean them up. Although
    it would be better for newsreaders to give up trying to give you their
    editor. As everybody has there favorite already anyway. Why reinvent the
    wheel? That way you can use macros and such to instantly clean up poorly
    quoted messages. And you can format the text the way it should be
    formatted.

    BillW50, Apr 16, 2011
  11. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    I do under FF. Right side pane and under the heading of "Sponsored
    links". And they changed based on what you are reading. Say your are
    reading a newsgroup about dogs. You will see ads based on care and
    feeding of dogs.

    And Google stores all of this information about you. They know what you
    read, search for, buy, etc. Privacy advocates goes crazy when you
    mention Google. As they are one of the worst ones out there.

    BillW50, Apr 16, 2011
  12. Bruce Varney

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ads???? Where are these ads? The usenet item I am viewing right now
    has exactly zero ads from Google or anyone else. The summary of this
    usenet group has exactly zero ads. Look, it works for me. Actually
    better than a dedicated news reader. I care less about flagging. And
    Google's approach is to send me an innocuous email telling me that
    there has been some activity in the group. Not bad. Maybe you oughta
    try it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 16, 2011
  13. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    I have tried it and I found it to be awful. And the ads are on the right
    pane under "Sponsored
    links". And Google stores all of your likes and dislikes. And the ads
    changes based on what you are reading. And if you use GMail, they also
    store this stuff in their database as well.

    BillW50, Apr 16, 2011
  14. Bruce Varney

    RnR Guest

    No offense Bill but your replies remind me of the old flame wars (but
    without the flames here <g> ) of which newreader is better. Let's
    be honest, what works for you, may not be important to me or Ben or
    whoever and vice versa so I doubt we could ever agree what newsreader
    is best. That said, I doubt you will find a perfect one unless you
    write your own. Over the years I found each had their strong and
    weak points and I just decided to settle on FA. Its similar to
    buying a car.... what I like, you may not like and vice versa. Yet
    both may be good cars even tho one doesn't work for both of us.
    That's why I refuse to go feature by feature as to which reader is
    better.

    RnR, Apr 17, 2011
  15. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Whoa... wait a minute here! First off, I always liked you and I still
    do. But you started it with off by saying I should use a real
    newsreader. And then I asked, where are they? You are not going to get
    off that easy. ;-)

    And seeing that feature of seeing replies to your post I believe is
    super important. I don't care if you are a newbie asking one question
    once in your life or a pro answering questions left and right. This is
    still super important. And it isn't hard to do, as all of the info is
    all in the headers. And only Microsoft does it and nobody else. Why is
    that?

    I know why Microsoft does it. That is because of some smart people
    pushed Microsoft to add it. Well that is fine and everything, but I have
    been pushing others to add it too. But they just don't understand and
    are dumb founded. They just don't understand why such a feature would be
    important.

    Yes I also have a beef with the editor that readers uses. Years ago many
    developers of readers thought why create an editor when the user has
    their own favorites? You know this is true. As you have macros and
    everything. No reader can compete with your favorite, so why bother? But
    readers in almost the last 20 years doesn't allow for this. Okay
    Microsoft got it partly right with WordMail, but nobody else had even
    tried.

    So what do you mean by using a real newsreader? I mean really? As I
    don't see any real newsreaders in decades. And if you know something
    that I don't, I really want to know about it. ;-)

    BillW50, Apr 17, 2011
  16. Bruce Varney

    Ben Myers Guest

    The so-called ads must be part of your alternate universe... Ben

    Ben Myers, Apr 17, 2011
  17. Bruce Varney

    RnR Guest

    Don't worry Bill, I "still" like you too. Don't let my previous
    post indicate otherwise. Sometimes words on a screen don't reflect
    the real tone of the words if you know what I mean. I like most
    people here but I don't always agree with them and I hope it's the
    same in reverse when they and I disagree.

    Back on topic, I don't want to get into newsreaders any more. Everyone
    has their favorite and I don't have a problem with that. To be
    honest, tho I settled on FA, I'm not in love with it either. I'll
    just leave it at that and sorry if I refuse to answer you or get more
    into newsreaders. Trust me, some people can get very sensitive about
    newsreaders as I found out years ago and I doubt it's changed so
    that's why I won't get into it more.

    RnR, Apr 17, 2011
  18. Bruce Varney

    Bob Villa Guest

    RnR related
    post indicate otherwise. Sometimes words on a screen don't reflect
    the real tone of the words if you know what I mean. I like most
    people here but I don't always agree with them and I hope it's the
    same in reverse when they and I disagree.

    Back on topic, I don't want to get into newsreaders any more. Everyone
    has their favorite and I don't have a problem with that. To be
    honest, tho I settled on FA, I'm not in love with it either. I'll
    just leave it at that and sorry if I refuse to answer you or get more
    into newsreaders. Trust me, some people can get very sensitive about
    newsreaders as I found out years ago and I doubt it's changed so
    that's why I won't get into it more.

    I may have already said too much :-( .

    RnR, it all has to do with personalities and the flexibility there of.
    If we live in our own world and think all should think as we
    do...there is NO conformation to the norm.
    At times, I can not handle/put-up-with ignorance to this norm. I
    apologize to all..except the perpetrators.

    Bob Villa, Apr 17, 2011
  19. Bruce Varney

    BillW50 Guest

    BillW50, Apr 17, 2011