Re: Dimension C521 will not turn on

Discussion in 'Dell' started by William R. Walsh, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. Hi!

    > Here is what I have done so far

    It sounds like you've covered the bases pretty well. However, have you
    tried to see if the system will power on with only the motherboard
    connected?

    > 3. When the power button is pushed in the is momentary flashing
    > of the light ( sorry unable determine color). The light just blinks
    > on then off as the button is pushed.

    This could indicate that the power supply is shutting down due to a
    short circuit or overload. I tend to think that the supply should be
    good, especially since the "AUX PWR LED" on the motherboard is on.

    > All of the lights come on except for the -5v. There is no list
    > of a -5v on the power supply.

    Some power supplies don't provide a -5V output. This is especially
    true of newer ones.

    > I did see the suggestion about using a wire to short out the
    > connector, I have not done this yet. (from Dell forum)

    If you do, disconnect things like the hard disk. This could really
    save your day if the power supply is bad and happens to go wildly out
    of control when you force it to turn on.

    > Question: I know that the shape of the supply rules out a
    > normal ATX power supply, but does the unit use standard
    > ATX power pin out for the 24 pin connector?

    Yes, it should. Dell was using the ATX connectors but changing the
    pinout so a regular power supply would not work. Fortunately, they
    stopped doing that a long time ago.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 8, 2008