Re: Display problem Acer Aspire 5630

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Ben Myers, May 28, 2010.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 5/28/2010 10:25 AM, John wrote:
    > The display on my 5630 is dim - not completely dark but probably only about
    > 30 to 40% as bright as it used to be.
    >
    > Having googled for what causes dim and dark displays in laptop screens
    > (after making sure it wasn't the lid close switch) I decided to go for the
    > cheapest things first, so I bought a brand new inverter board. Although it's
    > definitely the right one, it's actually worse than the existing inverter in
    > that it strobes a bit. Doesn't do anything for my problem - the screen is
    > neither brighter nor darker, just a bit stroboscopic. Hmm ...
    >
    > So, I then buy a secondhand (but guaranteed tested and working) video cable
    > from Ebay and replace that. Still no change - the screen is still as dim,
    > whether used with new or old inverter. Hmm again ...
    >
    > Oh, at this point I should say that I've checked the voltage between pin 1
    > of the inverter input and ground (which, I believe, should roughly be
    > between 10 and 20 volts) and got 19.36V - so we know that the inverter is
    > getting the correct feed from the mobo.
    >
    > I then look at changing the CCFL backlight tube but (a) can't find one and
    > (b) even if I could, I've read many horror stories of breaking the LCD panel
    > whilst trying to change the tube, so I decide to bite the bullet and buy a
    > whole new LCD panel because they come with a new tube already in them - and
    > I might as well upgrade from the old matte screen to a new glossy one if I'm
    > going to do this :eek:)
    >
    > Guess what? Yep, you guessed right - still fekkin' faulty!! Display is still
    > only at about 30 to 40% brightness - and that's with any combination of
    > new/old video cable and new/old inverter.
    >
    > Any other ideas folks?
    >
    > TIA
    > John

    Some brands of laptops (IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads come to mind) have a pair
    of key combinations to brighten or dim the display. With the Thinkpads,
    fn-Home brightens the display and fn-End dims it.

    Some brands of laptops, e.g. Dell, have LCD brightness controls in the
    BIOS, one setting when on battery and another when on wall power.

    Not sure what the Acers have built in to control LCD brightness, but
    maybe the brightness is on a low setting? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 28, 2010

  2. Ben Myers

    BillW50 Guest

    On 5/28/2010 11:05 AM, Ben Myers wrote:
    > On 5/28/2010 10:25 AM, John wrote:
    >> The display on my 5630 is dim - not completely dark but probably only
    >> about
    >> 30 to 40% as bright as it used to be.
    >>
    >> Having googled for what causes dim and dark displays in laptop screens
    >> (after making sure it wasn't the lid close switch) I decided to go for
    >> the
    >> cheapest things first, so I bought a brand new inverter board.
    >> Although it's
    >> definitely the right one, it's actually worse than the existing
    >> inverter in
    >> that it strobes a bit. Doesn't do anything for my problem - the screen is
    >> neither brighter nor darker, just a bit stroboscopic. Hmm ...
    >>
    >> So, I then buy a secondhand (but guaranteed tested and working) video
    >> cable
    >> from Ebay and replace that. Still no change - the screen is still as dim,
    >> whether used with new or old inverter. Hmm again ...
    >>
    >> Oh, at this point I should say that I've checked the voltage between
    >> pin 1
    >> of the inverter input and ground (which, I believe, should roughly be
    >> between 10 and 20 volts) and got 19.36V - so we know that the inverter is
    >> getting the correct feed from the mobo.
    >>
    >> I then look at changing the CCFL backlight tube but (a) can't find one
    >> and
    >> (b) even if I could, I've read many horror stories of breaking the LCD
    >> panel
    >> whilst trying to change the tube, so I decide to bite the bullet and
    >> buy a
    >> whole new LCD panel because they come with a new tube already in them
    >> - and
    >> I might as well upgrade from the old matte screen to a new glossy one
    >> if I'm
    >> going to do this :eek:)
    >>
    >> Guess what? Yep, you guessed right - still fekkin' faulty!! Display is
    >> still
    >> only at about 30 to 40% brightness - and that's with any combination of
    >> new/old video cable and new/old inverter.
    >>
    >> Any other ideas folks?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> John
    >>

    > Some brands of laptops (IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads come to mind) have a pair
    > of key combinations to brighten or dim the display. With the Thinkpads,
    > fn-Home brightens the display and fn-End dims it.
    >
    > Some brands of laptops, e.g. Dell, have LCD brightness controls in the
    > BIOS, one setting when on battery and another when on wall power.
    >
    > Not sure what the Acers have built in to control LCD brightness, but
    > maybe the brightness is on a low setting? ... Ben Myers

    Hello John! While I was reading I kept saying no it is the lamp, the
    lamp (well most low brightness is mostly because of the lamp)! Then you
    got to the lamp and I thought oh no! Ben is right of course, I would
    have checked that first before doing anything else though.

    Gee John! The only thing left if everything else was okay is the
    motherboard. The motherboard causing this problem is really rare.

    Are you sure that was a new LCD panel? Or was it used? As the lamps gets
    dimmer and dimmer overtime. Many will run for about 18 months if you run
    them 24/7. Use them less and you can push them 5 years and more. They
    are florescent tubes after all and if you use them 50/50 and get 5 years
    out of them that is pretty good.

    --
    Bill
    Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)

    BillW50, May 28, 2010

  3. Ben Myers

    Han Guest

    "John" <> wrote in

    > BillW50 wrote:

    >>> Some brands of laptops (IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads come to mind) have a
    >>> pair of key combinations to brighten or dim the display. With the
    >>> Thinkpads, fn-Home brightens the display and fn-End dims it.
    >>>
    >>> Some brands of laptops, e.g. Dell, have LCD brightness controls in
    >>> the BIOS, one setting when on battery and another when on wall
    >>> power.
    >>>
    >>> Not sure what the Acers have built in to control LCD brightness, but
    >>> maybe the brightness is on a low setting? ... Ben Myers

    >> Hello John! While I was reading I kept saying no it is the lamp, the
    >> lamp (well most low brightness is mostly because of the lamp)! Then
    >> you got to the lamp and I thought oh no! Ben is right of course, I
    >> would have checked that first before doing anything else though.
    >>
    >> Gee John! The only thing left if everything else was okay is the
    >> motherboard. The motherboard causing this problem is really rare.
    >>
    >> Are you sure that was a new LCD panel? Or was it used? As the lamps
    >> gets dimmer and dimmer overtime. Many will run for about 18 months if
    >> you run them 24/7. Use them less and you can push them 5 years and
    >> more. They are florescent tubes after all and if you use them 50/50
    >> and get 5 years out of them that is pretty good.

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I'm tagging this reply on to Bill's because his is the last in the
    > thread at the moment. First of all, let me say AARRGGHH!!! - because
    > Ben was right! It was just a matter of altering the brightness by the
    > key combination of Fn and right arrow key to increase it (left arrow
    > to decrease). All that time, money and effort spent and I needn't have
    > done any of it.
    >
    > Ah well, such is life. I've learned a good lesson today :eek:)
    >
    > Now, to try and justify my position and recover a bit of self-esteem,
    > I can say in my defence, your honour, that (a) I had no idea about
    > that key combination (b) there's an Intel graphics utility installed
    > and within that there are sliders for brightness, contrast, colour and
    > gamma - but altering the brightness slider there does _not_ have the
    > same effect at all as the key combination, which is why I continued
    > thinking something was faulty and (c) I've never knowingly altered the
    > brightness at all anyway. It's always been perfect at the default
    > setting and I've had it about 3 years.
    >
    > It's a complete mystery as to how the brightness was turned down in
    > the first place and, like I said, I didn't know about the key
    > combinations, but it's all sorted now so a big 'thank you' to all you
    > guys, especially Ben.
    >
    > Cheers
    > John

    Thanks for the thread, John, Ben & Bill. My Aspire 3680 uses the control
    right/left arrow combo too. So much easier than going through the <expl>
    utility.

    --
    Best regards
    Han

    Han, May 29, 2010
  4. Ben Myers

    Han Guest

    Han <> wrote in

    > "John" <> wrote in
    >
    >> BillW50 wrote:

    >>> Hello John! While I was reading I kept saying no it is the lamp, the
    >>> lamp (well most low brightness is mostly because of the lamp)! Then
    >>> you got to the lamp and I thought oh no! Ben is right of course, I
    >>> would have checked that first before doing anything else though.
    >>>
    >>> Gee John! The only thing left if everything else was okay is the
    >>> motherboard. The motherboard causing this problem is really rare.
    >>>
    >>> Are you sure that was a new LCD panel? Or was it used? As the lamps
    >>> gets dimmer and dimmer overtime. Many will run for about 18 months
    >>> if you run them 24/7. Use them less and you can push them 5 years
    >>> and more. They are florescent tubes after all and if you use them
    >>> 50/50 and get 5 years out of them that is pretty good.

    >> Hi guys,
    >>
    >> I'm tagging this reply on to Bill's because his is the last in the
    >> thread at the moment. First of all, let me say AARRGGHH!!! - because
    >> Ben was right! It was just a matter of altering the brightness by the
    >> key combination of Fn and right arrow key to increase it (left arrow
    >> to decrease). All that time, money and effort spent and I needn't
    >> have done any of it.
    >>
    >> Ah well, such is life. I've learned a good lesson today :eek:)
    >>
    >> Now, to try and justify my position and recover a bit of self-esteem,
    >> I can say in my defence, your honour, that (a) I had no idea about
    >> that key combination (b) there's an Intel graphics utility installed
    >> and within that there are sliders for brightness, contrast, colour
    >> and gamma - but altering the brightness slider there does _not_ have
    >> the same effect at all as the key combination, which is why I
    >> continued thinking something was faulty and (c) I've never knowingly
    >> altered the brightness at all anyway. It's always been perfect at the
    >> default setting and I've had it about 3 years.
    >>
    >> It's a complete mystery as to how the brightness was turned down in
    >> the first place and, like I said, I didn't know about the key
    >> combinations, but it's all sorted now so a big 'thank you' to all you
    >> guys, especially Ben.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> John

    > Thanks for the thread, John, Ben & Bill. My Aspire 3680 uses the
    > control right/left arrow combo too. So much easier than going through
    > the <expl> utility.

    I meant the FUNCTION right/left arrow combo.

    --
    Best regards
    Han

    Han, May 29, 2010
  5. Ben Myers

    BillW50 Guest

    On 5/29/2010 6:09 AM, Han wrote:
    >>> Hi guys,
    >>>
    >>> I'm tagging this reply on to Bill's because his is the last in the
    >>> thread at the moment. First of all, let me say AARRGGHH!!! - because
    >>> Ben was right! It was just a matter of altering the brightness by the
    >>> key combination of Fn and right arrow key to increase it (left arrow
    >>> to decrease). All that time, money and effort spent and I needn't
    >>> have done any of it.
    >>>
    >>> Ah well, such is life. I've learned a good lesson today :eek:)
    >>>
    >>> Now, to try and justify my position and recover a bit of self-esteem,
    >>> I can say in my defence, your honour, that (a) I had no idea about
    >>> that key combination (b) there's an Intel graphics utility installed
    >>> and within that there are sliders for brightness, contrast, colour
    >>> and gamma - but altering the brightness slider there does _not_ have
    >>> the same effect at all as the key combination, which is why I
    >>> continued thinking something was faulty and (c) I've never knowingly
    >>> altered the brightness at all anyway. It's always been perfect at the
    >>> default setting and I've had it about 3 years.
    >>>
    >>> It's a complete mystery as to how the brightness was turned down in
    >>> the first place and, like I said, I didn't know about the key
    >>> combinations, but it's all sorted now so a big 'thank you' to all you
    >>> guys, especially Ben.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> John

    >> Thanks for the thread, John, Ben& Bill. My Aspire 3680 uses the
    >> control right/left arrow combo too. So much easier than going through
    >> the<expl> utility.

    > I meant the FUNCTION right/left arrow combo.

    Well the bright side is you have spare parts now. I personally love
    having spare parts myself. ;-)

    BillW50, May 29, 2010
  6. Ben Myers

    markdewolfe

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I found this site and thread through google for the exact same problem. I too have no idea how my screen got darker but the fn/ R arrow fixed it. Just wanted to thank you guys. Wasn't looking forward to trying to take it apart. Mark D

    markdewolfe, Sep 29, 2011
  7. Ben Myers

    bejph

    Joined: