Re-enable onboard video outputs after adding graphics card ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Short-Cut, Dec 11, 2013.

  1. Short-Cut

    Short-Cut Guest

    Hello

    I am researching building a new computer. Building a computer using
    the latest Intel Haswell CPU motherboard. Mainly looking at the Z87
    chipset based motherboards for clocking flexibility.

    I notice the norm is to now have an integrated onboard GPU built in
    with HDMI, DVI, and VGA outputs. Also, I've read that plugging in a
    graphics card typically shuts off the onboard GPU outputs - with an
    "auto" detect BIOS setting.

    I have an existing PCI graphics card. I am wondering if I will be able
    to transport it to the new computer.
    Specifically, will I be able to re-enable the onboard GPU outputs in
    BIOS to get a total of 4 display outputs? That is, 3 outputs from the
    onboard GPU and 1 output from the PCI graphics card?

    Thanks for you help,
    Forrest

    Short-Cut, Dec 11, 2013

  2. Short-Cut

    Joe Allison Guest

    Probably not.

    Joe Allison, Dec 12, 2013

  3. Short-Cut

    Paul Guest

    I don't believe it, but I just found an answer here.

    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031040.htm

    "Can I install an external PCI Express* graphics card
    and use it in parallel with Intel graphics?

    No, Intel graphics cannot be used along with an
    external PCI Express graphics controller. Installing a
    PCI Express graphics controller will disable Intel graphics."

    I can't see why that would be the case.

    And I thought people were enabling both, so
    they could do QuickSync with the Intel GPU.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksync

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 12, 2013
  4. Short-Cut

    Short-Cut Guest

    Yes, my hopes aren't high.

    I wonder if not only the motherboard must support such a capability,
    but the video driver and windows support such a permutation as well.

    Short-Cut, Dec 13, 2013
  5. Short-Cut

    Short-Cut Guest

    I had stumbled on that Intel FAQ web page too. Makes we wonder if
    Intel wrote the driver for onboard video and can thus state
    definitevily that adding a graphics card doesn't work - today.

    Not familiar with QuickSync. Encoding / re-encoding, interesting. Had
    no idea that capability was on the chip.

    Short-Cut, Dec 13, 2013
  6. Short-Cut

    Paul Guest

    It sure is nice to get conflicting information.

    I downloaded a Sabertooth Z87 manual...

    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/SABERTOOTH-Z87/E7868_SAbertooth_Z87.pdf

    and on page 3-32 (PDF page 98) it says:

    iGPU Multi-Monitor

    Allows you to enable both integrated and discrete
    graphics for multi-monitor output. The iGPU shared
    system memory size will be fixed at 64MB.

    If that motherboard can do it, then check the manual
    on the other Z87 motherboards. And this is why you
    check those manuals, to get the "real scoop".

    Maybe Intel just disables it on their own motherboards ?

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 13, 2013