Re: Graphics card covers a PCIEX8_1 motherboard slot.

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Robert Myers, Dec 11, 2010.

  1. Robert Myers

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Dec 10, 5:01 pm, "Peter Jason" <> wrote:
    > The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 and the Graphics
    > card is a Gigabyte GV-N480UD-15I/.
    >
    > On assembly of the graphics card into the recommended
    > PCIEX16_1  motherboard slot,  the rather thick graphics card
    > completely covers the empty PCIEX8_1 slot beneath.
    >
    > Is there a way out of this?  Can the PCIEX16_1  motherboard
    > slot be extended away from the motherboard, via an extension
    > cable, and the graphics card assembled elsewhere in the
    > case?   I really need ALL the slots on the motherboard.

    I suspect you are asking for more bandwidth than the motherboard
    supports. Even though there are four X16 slots, once you plug an X16
    card into the board, one slot becomes unusable because, at that point,
    the board could be configured as X16/X16 or as X16/X8/X8, but not as
    anything that would use all four slots.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Dec 11, 2010