Re: How did I kill it - Althlon XP-M Overclock

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by rms, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. rms

    rms Guest

    > It ran Prime95 successfully for ~ 2hours, before I needed to go out.
    > Temperatures had peaked at about 65C (too high ?

    Yep, too high, though remember alot of failures occur right at startup
    when voltage is first supplied to the cpu and the fine connecting wires burn
    out, hitting high temp weakens them before the end. You can check the max
    temp for it at: http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

    rms

    rms, Oct 27, 2008

  2. rms

    Paul Guest

    rms wrote:
    >> It ran Prime95 successfully for ~ 2hours, before I needed to go out.
    >> Temperatures had peaked at about 65C (too high ?

    > Yep, too high, though remember alot of failures occur right at startup
    > when voltage is first supplied to the cpu and the fine connecting wires burn
    > out, hitting high temp weakens them before the end. You can check the max
    > temp for it at: http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
    >
    > rms

    If the silicon die is exposed, I'd check for chipped
    edges or a crack in the die. It is possible for a
    heating/cooling cycle, to finish the thing off. So
    check for visible faults first. Some of those chips
    survive quite nicely with chips off the edges of the
    silicon die, so a small chip doesn't guarantee death,
    but a chip or crack could spread over time.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 27, 2008