Re: How do I replace the BIOS battery?

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by Robert E. Watts, Aug 6, 2009.

  1. Hi Kenn !

    I'm not sure exactly what board you have, but I also had to recently
    "repair" this problem with a PB 450 486 board.

    Assuming your board looks like the one in the link below:

    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/450.htm

    ( and even if it doesn't )

    .....this will give you a clue as to what to do.

    Remove the jumpers on J30, and attach your battery to pins 1 and 4. 1 is
    hot, and 4 is not. :)

    This is actually pretty standard on most motherboards that are "like this".

    Just make sure you have the right jumper !

    I actually found a bat laying around, 'cause I was getting ready to make the
    whole thing. Any old 4 pin connector ( one off of a speaker for example )
    and two AA bats will work. If you want to get fancy, get a button bat
    holder, and wire that on.

    bob

    --
    bobwatts

    Watts Carburetion Service
    WhizzBang Computers
    " collector of Asian transfat plastic trinkets ! "
    EartH // KlaXXoN

    Robert E. Watts, Aug 6, 2009

  2. Hi Kenn !

    Inserting comments as I go...

    No problem. Happy to assist.
    Er, there is no soldering required. Just remove the jumper from J30, and
    attach a four pin plug. Or, you can just connect to pin 1 and 4. No need to
    solder anything.

    Anything amounting to 3V is fine. As far as lasting, I personally wouldn't
    trust cheap AA or AAA, C or D bats, I have had quite a few motherboards
    destroyed because of bats leaking.
    But they do work.

    bob

    Robert E. Watts, Aug 7, 2009

  3. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    Back in the day, there were cute little battery holders with wire leads
    on them to attach to the motherboard. These battery holders used 2, 3,
    or 4 AA's, depending on the voltage required.

    Rather than kludge up something, why not go to the Fedco web site and
    see what they've got? According to Bob Watts, you need a 3v external
    battery. And it needs to have two wires going to the outside pins of a
    4-pin lead. Save yourself some time frittering around and simply order
    the part that fits without modification.

    Radio Shack may prove futile because they have really gone mass market
    retail and cut way back on parts and accessories. But you never know.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 8, 2009
  4. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    Minimize the EFFECT of battery leakage by attaching the batteries to the
    outside of the computer, with long wire leads going inside... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 8, 2009
  5. Hi Kenn !

    This is a very simple job:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2-x-AA-3V-B...in_0?hash=item1c0b40f8ce&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

    That is one example ( of bazillions ) of a 2 AA bat holder that you can use.
    All you have to do is cut off the end of any old 4 pin computer speaker,
    splice the connecter to the leads on this case, and velcro the battery
    holder to the inside of the case. Use good quality bats, and you won't have
    to worry about 'em for years.

    I got lucky and found a 3V power cell with the connector already on it, and
    velcroed it to the inside of the case. I actually already had one PB 486
    Desktop case that someone had already done this exact thing to, with a 2 AA
    case holder just like the picture above.

    bobwatts

    Robert E. Watts, Aug 8, 2009
  6. Hi "philo" !

    And your advice is good also. PLAN on the damn things leaking, and take
    precautions.
    I too have lost some valuable vintage machines and motherboards.

    bob

    Robert E. Watts, Aug 9, 2009
  7. Hi!
    Just get some good quality AA batteries if you want to do this. No sense in
    getting all spendy on them. Locate them where any leak won't hurt anything.

    Since you're only going to have 3 volts coming into the circuit from these,
    the clock may run somewhat slowly. However, it may not be too bad, as these
    things usually keep time going up to the bitter end of the battery's life.

    For some more "advanced" tinkering, see these:

    http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/dallasrework.html
    http://greyghost.mooo.com/ds1387rework/

    Your computer probably doesn't use one of those. Later PB systems did.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 17, 2009
  8. Hello William !

    Why? Why would the clock run slow ?

    You know Bill, I tend to do a little research before I answer questions,
    'cause I really dislike being wrong.

    Some Packard Bell's use a Pansonic BR1225 3V bat on the motherboard.

    http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1235-battery-lithium-coin-3v-12-5mm-br-1225.html

    If you were actually here, I would point to various Packard Bell
    motherboards with this battery on the motherboard. Some used a bat holder
    with 2 1.5V AA bats, which my math equals 3V. Have some of those too.

    I looked around the internet, and most if not all references were to a 3V
    bat on his and other "older" motherboards. Before I responded to the
    question.

    Taking into consideration the "skill level" of the OP, I carefully
    considered my answer, and figured my response would be the easiest course of
    action. I could have come up with lots of other ideas, some of them
    involving Plutonium U-238 or U-239, and even some Anti-matter suggestions.
    But I decided that KISS would get the job done.

    If I have to come all the way down to Texas to straighten you out again, I'm
    bringing DooM, my cat, and you're not gonna like it !

    bobwatts

    Robert E. Watts, Aug 17, 2009
  9. Hi!
    Better late than never.
    I don't know that I'm right. :)

    But I know what I've seen on similar vintage PB systems, in the "3x3"
    case...and that's a rechargeable, 3.6 or so volt NiCad package battery. If I
    still had that 486 board, I'd shoot a picture of it. I'm not sure I can get
    at the Accel machine right now, which has a Yuasa brand NiCad onboard.

    Run a 3.6V clock on 3V and it might run a little slow. Or maybe not, if the
    design can tolerate the battery voltage dropping. That's what I was coming
    from, in light of what I knew. I tend to favor things that I've seen
    firsthand as valid experience, as long as I understood what was there.

    I've seen two other methods, what I'd call later and latest. The "later"
    method is a Dallas clock module, and the latest is a CR2032 battery. My
    mother's Legend desktop has a Dallas clock module. I am pretty sure that
    I've got a P150 tower with a CR2032 battery in it.
    You have a cat named DooM?

    I may not like meeting this cat, but I sure DO like its name!

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 18, 2009
  10. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    By the time PB started shipping Pentium systems, it also began using a
    lot of Intel branded boards, all with CR2032. It took a long time for
    the personal computer industry to standardize on CMOS batteries... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 18, 2009
  11. Hi William !

    Of COURSE you would like meeting DooM ! He's neato. So is his brother
    Hammer. Maverick is still skittish as hell ( for reasons unknown ), and
    Josie you might have some trouble with. I have seen her hurt some people
    pretty bad. O.C. ( outside Cat ) is ambivalent.

    All strays, all in perfect condition.

    DooM of course was named after the Greatest P.C. Game in History.

    Hammer was named in honor of Mike Hammer.

    D2 ( daughter two ) named Josie and Maverick.

    O. C. is obvious. :)

    Stop in around feeding time, always a hoot !

    bob

    Robert E. Watts, Aug 18, 2009
  12. Robert E. Watts

    sencaw