Re: HP 1170c officejetpro drivers/vista

Discussion in 'HP' started by Ben Myers, Apr 6, 2009.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    sue wrote:
    > I need to be able to use my HP 1170cse printer on my new computer
    > (Vista) but it looks like there are no updated drivers for this
    > printer.
    >
    > Can anyone help? I hate to have to buy a new printer.

    I wish I could help, but all I can do is once again spew some bile in
    the directions of both Microsoft and HP, Microsoft for changing its
    software driver design model (once again), HP for NOT designing and
    developing All-In-One software more universally applicable to ALL of its
    inkjet All-In-Ones.

    Not being entirely familiar with yet another HP All-In-One, I need to
    ask which operating system you used it with previously? Have you tried
    to install it to run under Vista? Lacking any specific 1170cse drivers
    for Vista, the best you might be able to do is simply to print, with no
    scanning, no copying, and no faxing from the computer itself. And you
    probably need a new decal for the front of the printer:
    "A-Little-Bit-In-One".

    If the 1170cse is part of a family of All-In-Ones with a follow-on
    model, you may be able to install the follow-on drivers successfully.
    But I would not be too optimistic, as software for inkjet printers,
    all-in-ones, and scanners is a serious HP weakness... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 6, 2009

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    sue wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:55:13 -0500, sue <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 12:06:55 -0400, Ben Myers <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> If the 1170cse is part of a family of All-In-Ones with a follow-on
    >>> model, you may be able to install the follow-on drivers successfully.
    >>> But I would not be too optimistic, as software for inkjet printers,
    >>> all-in-ones, and scanners is a serious HP weakness... Ben Myers

    >> I was using it with XP before.

    > What do you mean by "follow-on drivers"

    By follow-on drivers I mean the drivers for a model that is the
    immediate successor (or follow-on) to the 1170cse, if one exists. Not
    sure if there are All-in-One 1180 or 1190 models, but if so and there
    are Vista drivers, you can try them. (As an example from the world of
    HP scanners, there are/were the 8200, 8250 and 8270, all very similar.)

    HP is pretty notorious for customizing the driver files for its printer,
    scanner and All-in-One products so that there is often only one driver
    file ever produced for a given model or set of models. I experienced
    this with a very nice high-speed HP 8250 scanner this week. Only one
    set of files works with it, and that is that. Sadly, the newer HP
    scanner software is harder to use than the older... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 8, 2009