    yes, but l don't have one ;-(

    thanks,

    Alan.

    Alan, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Nice tiny machine.
    And a lucky mother. ;-)

    Although I must confess I've never actually done that, I'm thinking
    the answer is *probably* yes, provided that you have at least the
    floppy drive that originally came with your 240, or know someone who
    can lend you the 560/570/600/770 etc. drive with the external cable.

    It looks like this, for instance:
    <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3450263790&category=31566>.

    Then I guess basically you've got the following two options:

    Method 1:

    IBM offers some "Recovery Diskettes" for download, including one for
    an IBM USB drive:

    <http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4Q2KLY>.

    If you've got a different USB CD-ROM, you could possibly exchange the
    driver to make it work. Following that procedure, you should be able
    to restore the original W98 installation from your TP240 recovery
    CD-ROM. After that you could proceed with the setup of W2K from within
    of W98, as is described here:

    <http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4MCJQG>.

    Method 2 (preferred):

    Create a DOS boot disk which loads the appropriate driver for your USB
    CD-ROM and contains FDISK and FORMAT. Boot up with this disk,
    partition your hard drive with the FDISK software, reboot and format
    it. Copy the contents of the I386 folder from the W2K installation CD
    to a directory on your hard drive and start the setup from this
    directory with the command "winnt". A detailed account of this method
    is given here:

    <http://www.addonics.com/support/faqs/windows_OS_installation.asp>

    Hope this works for you,
    best regards and a happy new year,