Re: Intel's chipset monopoly

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Yousuf Khan, Jan 4, 2012.

  1. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 01/01/2012 8:40 PM, Orson Cart wrote:
    > VIA, SiS, ATI and NVIDIA used to make chipsets for FSB CPUs up to
    > Core 2 and Atom ... but all this ceased when Intel brought out
    > the Nehalem.
    > I still wonder why they have not granted permission to others to
    > mate with their CPUs? Perhaps now they use internal memory controller,
    > a crappy northbridge will not choke memory bandwidth, and OEMs
    > might just select the minimum price.
    > But I really have a feeling they are against NVIDIA most of all.
    > Why?
    > AMD seems content for NVIDIA to make stuff, even though NVIDIA
    > are a rival for their GPU division.

    AMD is now a monopoly on its own chipsets now too. Nvidia has dropped
    out of building AMD chipsets a long time ago.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jan 4, 2012

  2. Yousuf Khan

    Jim Guest

    "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message
    > AMD is now a monopoly on its own chipsets now too. Nvidia has dropped out
    > of building AMD chipsets a long time ago.

    You can still buy the old NV chipsets and some even work with Bulldozer so
    you still have a choice. Until AMD makes a single chip chipset NV will have
    a place in micro ATX boards.

    Jim, Jan 6, 2012

  3. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 06/01/2012 9:58 AM, Jim wrote:
    > "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message
    >> AMD is now a monopoly on its own chipsets now too. Nvidia has dropped
    >> out of building AMD chipsets a long time ago.

    > You can still buy the old NV chipsets and some even work with Bulldozer
    > so you still have a choice. Until AMD makes a single chip chipset NV
    > will have a place in micro ATX boards.

    Well, the standardized Hypertransport protocol is what allows old Nvidia
    chipsets to keep working with new AMD CPUs. The newer Hypertransport
    protocols work in backwards compatibility mode with the old Nvidia
    chipsets, even though Nvidia hasn't updated its chipsets in years. It
    does however mean that the AMD CPU's cannot use the latest features of
    Hypertransport when they are paired with Nvidia chipsets though.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jan 18, 2012