    AMD is now a monopoly on its own chipsets now too. Nvidia has dropped
    out of building AMD chipsets a long time ago.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jan 4, 2012

  2. Yousuf Khan

    Jim Guest

    You can still buy the old NV chipsets and some even work with Bulldozer so
    you still have a choice. Until AMD makes a single chip chipset NV will have
    a place in micro ATX boards.

    Jim, Jan 6, 2012

  3. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Well, the standardized Hypertransport protocol is what allows old Nvidia
    chipsets to keep working with new AMD CPUs. The newer Hypertransport
    protocols work in backwards compatibility mode with the old Nvidia
    chipsets, even though Nvidia hasn't updated its chipsets in years. It
    does however mean that the AMD CPU's cannot use the latest features of
    Hypertransport when they are paired with Nvidia chipsets though.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jan 18, 2012