Re: Is CD inconsistent for different readers like floppies?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Artem, Apr 9, 2009.

  1. Artem

    Artem Guest

    On Apr 9, 2:58 pm, wrote:

    > I've noticed that the one reader works well with old RH6.2
    > linux but not with later versions.

    I can suggest check IDE setting (PIO, DMA, etc) with hdparm.

    > Also since I need to boot from the 1 CD I have to use the BIOS.
    > And since both my machines show differing 'errors', it suggests
    > that a marginal mechanical setting exists.
    >
    > Do CDreaders auto adjust, so that the mechanics of different
    > readers is equaled out ?

    Mechanical can not be equal. En example optical blocks can have
    different mass. So, it can focusing at CD with different speed.

    Try to slowdown you CD reader.

    hdparm -E

    And check file systems on CD. Maybe you use ext2 on CD or something
    like this.

    Artem, Apr 9, 2009