Re: no inputs working on XP-multimedia Aspire

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Rob, May 19, 2008.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "news.rcn.com" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone come across this problem with the Aspire 5102 please? Nothing
    > works, no mouse, no keyboard either on POST or in Windows. Neither
    > internal nor USB. It goes into Windows, loads drivers and programs
    > (unbelievably slowly) but does nothing else and has to be closed off with
    > the power button to do anything.
    >
    > We are at the moment just trying to take the CMOS battery out for a few
    > seconds to see if something in the BIOS has become corrupted but wondered
    > if anyone had come across this problem before with this or any similar
    > computer? Is there any other way of resetting the motherboard or flashing
    > the BIOS without a mouse or keyboard? No lights go on at the external
    > keyboard on turn-on so I wondered if this might be a problem before the
    > whole computer even gets to the BIOS stage?
    >
    > Not sure if this is relevant (I cant see how it could be) but the whole
    > computer seemed dead (only charge light and power button) until I
    > re-seated the memory chips and then at least it went into Windows. But
    > nothing else.

    This probably won't help much, but I've seen similar on desktop
    motherboards, when an onboard (surface mount) silicon fuse had blown.
    This fuse was there to protect from short circuits in the PS/2 keyboard
    and mouse cables, but also delivered the 5V power to all the USB ports.
    Luckily I managed to locate it (near the keyboard PS/2 socket) and
    simply soldered a bit of wire across it. If it's that, you'll need to know
    what such a fuse looks like and test it with a multimeter (should be
    close to zero ohms) and be 100% sure, before risking this kind of fix.
    HTH,
    --
    Rob

    Rob, May 19, 2008

  2. Rob

    Fixer Guest

    Fixer, May 19, 2008

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Shouldn't matter - OP says no keyboard in POST, so problem
    is OS-independant.
    --
    Rob

    Rob, May 21, 2008