    Leave your RAM settings as they are - it says 166MHz because it's DDR RAM
    - the 333MHz transfer rate applies to when your using two or more RAM
    sticks (put them in slots 1 & 3 or 2 &3 - NOT 1 & 2!).

    Mothra, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Mothra

    Mothra Guest

    sorry - I actually meant 166MHz with 12.5 multiplier for an XP 2600+!

    Mothra, Jun 25, 2003

  3. Mothra

    Stone Free Guest

    I have bought some Crucial PC3200 memory, but I am not sure if it is
    working properly, the BIOS says it is running at 200Mhz, dual channel mode.
    Does this mean it is working properly ? I know PC3200 memory runs at
    400Mhz but I assume you are meant to double the fequency listed if it says
    dual channel mode.

    SiSoft Sandra does not seem to rate my memory near PC2700 yet alone PC3200

    Stone Free, Jul 1, 2003
  4. Mothra

    Tim Auton Guest

    Stone Free
    Not quite, you are meant to double the frequency listed if it's double
    data rate (DDR) memory. Which it is. So it's working right.

    You have two double-pumped, 200MHz memory busses. Each runs at an
    effective 400Mhz (thanks to the double pumping) and in total you have
    an effective 800MHz (thanks to the dual channels).

    This explains it a bit more:
    http://www.cadimensions.com/requirements3.htm

    Tim

    Tim Auton, Jul 1, 2003
  5. Mothra

    Stone Free Guest

    Bugger having read that it seems that the fact I went for a Barton 2500+ XP
    chip means that buying PC3200 memory is actually harming my memory
    performance until I upgrade to a 400Mhz FSB.

    Stone Free, Jul 1, 2003
  6. Mothra

    Doug Ramage Guest

    "Stone Free"
    But the Asus A7N8X dx supports 400Mhz FSB - although you may need a BIOS
    upgrade.

    A Barton 2500XP should be clocked at 1.83Ghz, so a FSB of 200 + multiplier
    of 9 or 10 should be OK - probably higher, if you wish.

    My 2100XP clocks at 2.25Ghz (180 x 12.5), and I am using PC3200 RAM.

    Doug Ramage, Jul 1, 2003
  7. Mothra

    Tim Auton Guest

    Stone Free
    You can always clock it back to 333 in the BIOS. But I'm not convinced
    by a system running slower with 333FSB and 400DDR RAM. Not really any
    faster I could see, but actually slower I find hard to comprehend. I
    think the site is wrong (sorry for the link!).

    I benchmarked my Athlon XP1900+ (266 FSB) system with some DDR333 RAM
    running at 333 CL2.5, 266 CL2.5 and 266 CL2. 333 CL2.5 won, though not
    by a huge ammount.

    Tim

    Tim Auton, Jul 1, 2003
  8. Mothra

    G.B. Langer Guest

    Hmmm, I checked in my WinXP device manager and my P4c 2.4GB is listed twice.
    Is it supposed to be that way? Thanks.

    G.B. Langer, Jul 2, 2003
  9. Mothra

    Eric Witte Guest

    Leave your RAM settings as they are - it says 166MHz because it's DDR RAM
    The 333 Rating has nothing to do with running them in dual channel
    mode. The actual figure is 166Mhz. They classify it as 333 because it
    works during the rise and fall of the signal. In other words each
    stick can do 2 jobs during each clock cycle instead of one.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Jul 2, 2003
  10. Mothra

    Len Guest

    With Hyperthreading enabled, yes...

    Len, Jul 4, 2003
  11. Mothra

    lord_beldingfield

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    bios settings

    hello,

    I have a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton, however my computer has not properly installed it and on system properties it says only "AMD Athlon XP 1.25 GHz 512MB Ram" as with device manager. Does the fact that the computer has not reconised it correctly compromise preformance? if any one knows of a solution then id be grateful is they would share it with me. Also during boot up it states that i have 512MB Ram which is correct but it says 200mhz frequency. i have 400mhz pc3200 Ram. It seams a little odd, and as previously mentioned what and how do i change the bios settings so that my hardware (CPU+RAM) preforms at its stated speed.

    Thanks very much,
    Matt

    lord_beldingfield, Aug 8, 2006