Re: Pavilion a6763w-b PC

Discussion in 'HP' started by Ben Myers, Jun 19, 2009.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    oh well wrote:
    > Have just gotten this computer and as far as I know the hardware is ok
    > 'cause I can't do anything with it OS wise. It has vista now and since I'm
    > pirateing parts off my old computer I would like to install the Windows XP
    > home SP 2 OS from the old computer on the one I've just gotten. Would there
    > be any problem formatting this hard drive with the XP installation disc and
    > installing XP. Additionally I would like to use the hd from the old
    > computer for virtual memory.
    >
    > Can I do all this ok?
    >
    > thx.
    >
    > Tommy Mathis

    Tommy,

    The answer to your question is "probably". HP does not have any chipset
    drivers for this model on its web site, so you have to chase them down
    elsewhere.

    The motherboard is one made special for HP by ECS. The ECS model is ECS
    MCP61PM-HM.

    The motherboard chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

    Here are the other major system chipsets for which Vista support is
    provided by HP for your model:
    NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller Driver
    NVIDIA Graphics Driver
    NVIDIA LAN Driver (Realtek RTL8201N 10/100Mbps)
    Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

    Since this motherboard is special for HP, you won't find anything about
    the model on the ECS web site. My own next try would be nVidia's web
    site, at this URL, for example:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_8.26_11.09.html

    A web site q&a forum said that the Acer Aspire E380 uses the same
    motherboard, and that the drivers on the Acer web site would work.

    Finally, yes, you can set up virtual memory on any drive with XP.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 19, 2009

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    oh well wrote:
    > "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    >> oh well wrote:
    >>> Have just gotten this computer and as far as I know the hardware is ok
    >>> 'cause I can't do anything with it OS wise. It has vista now and since
    >>> I'm pirateing parts off my old computer I would like to install the
    >>> Windows XP home SP 2 OS from the old computer on the one I've just
    >>> gotten. Would there be any problem formatting this hard drive with the
    >>> XP installation disc and installing XP. Additionally I would like to use
    >>> the hd from the old computer for virtual memory.
    >>>
    >>> Can I do all this ok?
    >>>
    >>> thx.
    >>>
    >>> Tommy Mathis

    >> Tommy,
    >>
    >> The answer to your question is "probably". HP does not have any chipset
    >> drivers for this model on its web site, so you have to chase them down
    >> elsewhere.
    >>
    >> The motherboard is one made special for HP by ECS. The ECS model is ECS
    >> MCP61PM-HM.
    >>
    >> The motherboard chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    >>
    >> Here are the other major system chipsets for which Vista support is
    >> provided by HP for your model:
    >> NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller Driver
    >> NVIDIA Graphics Driver
    >> NVIDIA LAN Driver (Realtek RTL8201N 10/100Mbps)
    >> Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
    >>
    >> Since this motherboard is special for HP, you won't find anything about
    >> the model on the ECS web site. My own next try would be nVidia's web
    >> site, at this URL, for example:
    >>
    >> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_8.26_11.09.html
    >>
    >> A web site q&a forum said that the Acer Aspire E380 uses the same
    >> motherboard, and that the drivers on the Acer web site would work.
    >>
    >> Finally, yes, you can set up virtual memory on any drive with XP.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers

    > Ben thx.
    >
    > A supprise or two here but now off to the chase.
    >
    > Tommy

    One general comment. Compared to Dell and Lenovo, I would have to say
    that HP has done little or nothing to promote the now-famous "downgrade"
    to XP, especially for the consumer-oriented Pavilion and Presario models
    where HP has been a very effective shill for Vista. Hence no XP drivers
    for the a6763w-b... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 19, 2009