Re: pci express 2.0

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Bob Bailin, Aug 31, 2008.

  1. Bob Bailin

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "Josh" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a DG965WH. I assume it has pci express 1.0, can I install a
    > pci express 2.0 video card?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes. According to the Wiki article on PCI Express:

    PCIe 2.0 is backward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and
    motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0. In
    some cases it is possible that a PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on a
    PCI-E 1.0a slot. This is only limited to certain video cards.

    Bob Bailin, Aug 31, 2008

  2. Bob Bailin

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "Josh" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:53:22 -0400, "Bob Bailin"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Josh" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a DG965WH. I assume it has pci express 1.0, can I install a
    >>> pci express 2.0 video card?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >>Yes. According to the Wiki article on PCI Express:
    >>
    >>PCIe 2.0 is backward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and
    >>motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0. In
    >>some cases it is possible that a PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on
    >>PCI-E 1.0a slot. This is only limited to certain video cards.

    > Thanks for the reply. So, I would be safe to assume that the DG965WH
    > does NOT have a PCI-E 1.0a slot? I looked at Intel's web site, but
    > didn't see anything to indicate what version slot it is. Of course, I
    > might have missed it.
    >
    > btw, will most likely be purchasing an EVGA 9800 series card - still
    > looking into power requirements on those.

    I'm using a DG965WH, and as far as I can tell from the Intel docs,
    it's strictly PCI-E 1.0.

    Make sure your power supply is up to it. Most no-name supplies only
    provide 75% of the listed output, so a 600W ps is not unreasonable.
    A 400W will not do.

    Bob Bailin, Sep 1, 2008