Re: Ubuntu Saves Compaq Presario 2100 From Certain Death (AndWindows) (Sep 12, 2008) ... (Linux Toda

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by JR the Postman, Oct 8, 2008.

  1. On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:09:23 -0500, admin wrote:

    > http://www.ng2000.com/fw.php?tp=compaq

    * * *
    I find that mepis7, and Puppy Linux have save a lot of older systems,
    that have passed throught this space... I like the Mepis rolling update
    KDE linux, that is quite different than Ubuntu's make everything new
    every 9 months phlosophy...

    On the other hand the video discovery in Puppy will allow the intel
    1024x768 16-bit intregrated video cards to load out of the box. Puppy is
    one of the few distro that works well in this department 3.1, 4.0 and the
    latest release 4.1 are very good with the odd screen resolution video
    cards in the older hardware...

    I would never move an older computer to the curb any more, I would
    download mepis 8, if you have a desktop with 256 MB, and puppy 4.1 if you
    have less memory to work with or a video card that was added later...

    Both of these distro run well as live CD, to check if you have working
    hardware, as sometimes a computer sitting in the back of a closet was
    placed there for a reason...

    JR the postman

    JR the Postman, Oct 8, 2008