"Reading messages is not allowed for this folder" Entourage 12.2.2

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jason Bourne, Jul 26, 2010.

  1. Jason Bourne

    Jason Bourne Guest

    That message quoted in the subject is now popping up every time
    Entourage goes to collect mail. There is no included numerical error
    message and no indication as to which of several folders it may be
    addressing.

    I created one new folder just prior to that message starting to appear,
    but I have since deleted it. The problem is this warning message
    interferes with the program collecting mail until I dismiss it by click
    the okay button or bringing the app into focus.

    I've googled this but found nothing helpful, so here are the steps I'm
    contemplating.

    1) Delete all folders in Entourage and start with fresh ones.

    2). Delete all Rules and starting with fresh ones.

    3). Deleting all accounts, rules, schedules, etc from Entourage and
    starting all over again from scratch.

    Incidentally, I have tried:

    € Rebuilding the Entourage database
    € Repairing permissions
    € Deleting a bunch of moribund Entourage folders
    € Sending Steve Blamer a dozen roses

    And finally, the message itself is bogus because I can read messages in
    every existing folder.

    Any thoughts?

    Thank you!

    P.S.If I knew how to configure Mail app to deal with all of my
    assorted IMAP, Hotmail and POP accounts, and import my existing
    Entourage databases, I might be finally wiling to use that instead of
    Entourage.

    Jason Bourne, Jul 26, 2010

  2. Jason Bourne

    Jason Bourne Guest

    Answering my own question here. Through a process of elimination I was
    able to determine that the problematic folder was one of several IMAP
    accounts.

    It was fine yesterday, but today it's broken. Anyway, more
    troubleshooting later, but at least the problem is isolated to one
    account that can be disabled and thus I can call this a demi-fix.

    Jason Bourne, Jul 27, 2010