  1. Can some USB, microcontroller expert advise me how can a USB webcam be
    interfaced with a microcontroller (PIC, ATMega, etc) so that we can capture
    image frames (low speed, low res) with the microcontroller?

    Ivan Nathvalski, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Ivan Nathvalski

    mark jb Guest

    Can some USB, microcontroller expert advise me how can a USB webcam be
    you'd need a usb host on the board to interface with the micro, power to run
    the cam from the board... you may be better ripping a cheap cam apart and
    pulling a direct video output before the usb out (if possible)

    -mark

    mark jb, Aug 29, 2005

  3. Forget it.
    Better just to buy one of the cameras with a video output.
    Key thing about USB, is that it is designed to make the 'slave' device
    relatively easy to produce. The 'host' device, requires a _lot_ more
    hardware and code. It is possible to produce a basic host, but you are
    looking at perhaps 5 to 10* as much work as producing a direct video
    grabber...

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Aug 29, 2005
  4. About as well as you could pull a 20-ton cargo trailer up a hill using
    a bicycle. You need a USB host for that, which needs between one and
    two orders of magnitude more CPU power than what you're envisioning.

    Hans-Bernhard Broeker, Aug 29, 2005
  5. Cypress makes some nice little USB host chips - I'd reccomend taking a
    look at those as I doubt a 8b micro could handle the complexities of a
    USB host interface. Best of luck!

    -M. Noone

    Michael J. Noone, Aug 29, 2005
  6. Ivan Nathvalski

    Alex Gibson Guest

    Go with an older type serial cam or get a camucam2 or avr cam
    or similar.

    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cmucam/
    http://www.jrobot.net/

    http://home.teleport.ch/idobson/ using bascom avr
    http://home.teleport.ch/idobson/projects/UDP-webcam.htm
    http://home.teleport.ch/idobson/start_e.htm

    Alex

    Alex Gibson, Aug 30, 2005
  7. Ivan Nathvalski

    dmm Guest

    Not a USB solution, but John Orlando and Brent Taylor won 2nd prize
    in Circuit Cellar's AVR contest last year with an ATmega8 controlled camera.
    http://www.circuitcellar.com/avr2004/Second.html

    dmm, Aug 30, 2005
  8. USB is a master-slave system. Camera is a slave, so you need a master (USB
    host). Low-end micros with USB are USB slaves too.

    You need a USB host. It is either built into the higher-end processors or
    you need external chip. But this is only half a problem. Then you need USB
    host stack, typically found in larger OS, like Linux.

    Rudolf

    Rudolf Ladyzhenskii, Oct 2, 2005
  9. I'm solving this problem with a Linksys NSLU2 (Network storage system).
    This device has one ethernet port, two USB host, and 1.5 serial ports.

    You can load a version of Linux on it that will handle a webcam.

    I am planning on preporoccesing the image there and then passing on
    the relevent information to my main processor.

    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/

    D. Jay Newman, Oct 2, 2005