Really confused by my debugger.

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Brendan Gillatt, May 23, 2007.

  1. I recently purchased a clone Microchip PIC debugger from some Chinese
    importer http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/Items/006401-001? (bad idea
    probably, I know).

    I set it all up, it programs perfectly and does a POST fine. The
    problem is with debugging. I hit the 'program' button on MPLAB, the
    PIC is programmed fine but I get an 'ICD0083' error (cannot enter the
    debug mode on the chip).

    I've gone through all of the Microchip manuals and the machine
    translated instruction page from the supplier:
    http://www.nbglin.com/icd2.htm and can't see what's wrong.

    I'm using a PIC16F876a with an external oscillator which is running
    fine. The _DEBUG_ON configuration bit is set and I'm using the example
    code from the NBGLIN site.

    I'm kinda lost for ideas now - for the last few days I've been
    searching forums and newsgroups for an answer. I would be very
    greatful for some help.

    TIA
    Brendan Gillatt
    www.brendangillatt.co.uk
    GPG: 0x6E265E61

    Brendan Gillatt, May 23, 2007

  2. When I have had problems like this, I found that there was a problem with
    the connections of the debugger or programmer signals, and resultant poor
    signal quality. You should look at the clock and data lines, and also Vpp,
    to make sure the logic levels are good and transitions are fast and clean.
    Sometimes this is due to a component like a capacitor or resistor on those
    lines, but I also had a problem where there was contamination and leakage
    on the board.

    Paul

    Paul E. Schoen, May 23, 2007

  3. Thanks - I'll have a look for those. =]
    Brendan Gillatt
    www.brendangillatt.co.uk
    GPG: 0x6E265E61

    Brendan Gillatt, May 24, 2007
  4. Mmm, all seems fine there. I'll post to the Piclist later if I don't
    find what's up. Thanks for the help anyway.

    Brendan Gillatt, May 28, 2007
  5. Brendan Gillatt

    Marra Guest

    As a PIC engineer for around 25 years we always found Microchip dev
    kit to be the best by far.
    If they cant get it right then who can?
    I have heard so many bad tales about non Microchip kit and crappy
    programmers that dont work with all PIC's.

    Marra, Jun 10, 2007