realtime PS3 KILLZONE IMPRESSIONS - IT'S NOWHERE NEAR THE CGI VIDEO OF E3 2005

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by AirRaid, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157798

    GDC 2007: Sony Showed Us Killzone
    It didn't say 'Killzone 2' so was it really?

    By 1UP Staff, 03/06/2007

    "Explaining that this was a work-in-progress and it wouldn't be a part
    of his GDC Keynote the following morning, Sony Computer Entertainment
    Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison wanted a way to point at the
    power that the PlayStation 3 could unlock. At the conclusion of a
    presentation that unveiled 'Home' and the irrefutably smart
    LittleBigPlanet, Sony showed us Killzone.

    It wasn't called 'Killzone 2,' it was just called 'Killzone' and the
    video footage appeared to be artifacted somehow. It wasn't the clear,
    crisp HD footage Harrison's presentation had been populated with -- it
    was almost like an afterthought. It didn't look as good as the fake-
    footage we saw at E3 2005, but it didn't look bad, either. It was just
    a half-hearted show of particle effects, bullets ripping through
    warehouses, tearing apart kitchens and showcasing the rag doll physics
    in the Killzone engine. If the footage ever surfaces, it'll likely be
    treated as an 'engine' demonstration, but the first-person
    perspective, gunplay and action clearly show gameplay in some state."

    http://tinyurl.com/2ufebg

    GDC 07: Killzone footage used to hype PlayStation Edge

    "Phil Harrison uses new glimpse of elusive PS3 shooter to tout Sony's
    new suite of Maya-based developer tools.
    By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot

    Posted Mar 7, 2007 10:32 am PT

    By almost all accounts, the most controversial moment of the 2005
    Electronic Entertainment Expo came during Sony's press conference. As
    part of a montage of trailers for games coming to the then-just-
    announced PlayStation 3, the company showed off an intense trailer for
    a new Killzone title. While many dismissed the trailer's nearly
    photorealistic graphics as CG animation, Sony insisted that the clip
    was rendered in real time using the PS3's RSX graphics chip.

    Since then, though, the PS3 Killzone has disappeared, save for a
    report in a Dutch newspaper claiming the game's budget will run close
    to $20 million. The absence of any new footage led to further doubts
    about the E3 05 trailer's authenticity, and rampant speculation that a
    new trailer and/or demo would be flaunted at each subsequent Sony
    press event.

    Last night at Sony's 2007 Game Developers Conference press briefing in
    San Francisco, the company did indeed show off the first clip of
    Killzone in nearly two years. The segment was presented by Sony
    Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison to help hype PlayStation
    Edge, a new suite of development tools Sony is offering to PS3 game
    developers free of charge.

    "The purpose of this clip is to show you the technology, not the
    game," Harrison said before rolling the footage. PlayStation Edge has
    two major components. The first is GCM Replay, an "incredibly
    powerful, RSX profiling tool" to help designers "get maximum
    performance" out of the PS3's GPU. Second is a suite of "lightweight,
    optimized libraries" to help developers take advantage of SPU geometry
    processes like animation and compression using the console's powerful
    Cell processor.

    After the tech-speak, the Killzone trailer rolled--and showed in-game
    sequences of varying quality. Set in a desolate urban wasteland, the
    segment showed human commandos fighting house-to-house with heavily
    armored Hellghast troopers. Interior sequences ran smoothly, looking
    reminiscent of F.E.A.R. with slicker graphics. A suitably chaotic Call
    of Duty 3-like tank battle with armored personnel carriers blasting
    alleyways was also shown. However, several in-engine slow-motion
    sequences failed to impress, with some in the back rows grousing that
    the shots looked like they were taken from the original Killzone.

    Debate aside, the Killzone clip did pique the interest of the
    audience. It also ended with a teaser--a black screen with the
    Killzone logo and "E3" in stylized letters at the bottom. "You can
    expect to see much more in July," promised Harrison.."

    http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200703/N07.0307.1130.20140.htm

    GDC 07: Sony Reveals Killzone For PlayStation 3
    by Billy Berghammer
    POSTED: 3/7/2007 1:05 PM

    "Even though Sony's Phil Harrison explained that it was only a tech
    demonstration of PlayStation 3 tools used to make games, they sure
    picked a title that would stir up some talk. Quite a bit of in-game
    footage from Killzone was shown, and even though the game looks like
    it's progressing nicely, it's definitely far from the initial trailer
    that the company initially showed.

    This new Killzone demo focused around a soldier being shot at and the
    ragdoll effect that the bullets had on the soon-to-be-fallen soldier.
    As each bullet struck the soldier, the soldier reacted realistically.
    The environments showed quite a bit of destructible elements, as well
    as some impressive lighting.

    However, the game's tech definitely lacked the presentation the
    initial trailer had. And even though this demonstration was only to
    show the tech and not the game, we we're left wondering why they chose
    to show Killzone. Regardless, it's still too early to pass any final
    judgments considering it was just a tech demo and the game wasn't in
    any playable state.

    The final moments of the footage showed a Killzone logo and the words
    E3 2007. It looks like we have a better grasp when we'll be getting
    our hands on this game."

    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15432

    "Before we exited, we were teased with a brand new Killzone video,
    which looked nowhere near the level of the CG video shown at E32005,
    but it did look quite good, probably visually on par with some of what
    we've seen in the Metal Gear Solid 4 trailers. Harrison said that more
    will be shown at this year's E3."

    my comment:

    oh sure, it'll be a decent looking PS3 game by PS3 standards, it will
    improve from where it is now, it might even look better than Gears Of
    War and Halo 3, but anyone expecting a game that looks even remotely
    CLOSE to the Killzone CGI video of E3 2005 will have to wait 5-6 years
    until PS4.

    AirRaid, Mar 7, 2007

  2. AirRaid

    mark.colon Guest

    When are we going to get a good look at this since there is no more
    E3???

    mark.colon, Mar 8, 2007

  3. AirRaid

    Gareth Guest

    <snipped>

    I think we get the message: the PS3 is not going to live up to the hype and
    in Europe - and especially the UK - is going to be an overpriced and under
    specced insult.

    I, and I think many others who were once willing to buy the PS3, agree.

    Is there anything else for you to say?

    Gareth.

    Gareth, Mar 8, 2007
  4. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    yeah, it's just so pathetic how Sony onced touted that PS3 would be
    1,000 the performance of PS2.... then IBM said they could get
    realistically, 100 times PS2 performance, then when CELL was revealed
    (not the PS3 version just the first working version), it was 50 times
    the performance of PS2, then when PS3 was revealed, the PS3 would be
    35 times the power of PS2.....but when i look at the graphics of PS2
    and PS3 games, there's not even that much of a leap. maybe 5 times
    better. the leap from PS1 to PS2 was very impressive because Sony
    was pushing the limits of graphics performance in 2000, and was indeed
    ahead of the fastest PC graphics cards/GPUs in rendering performance
    (not image quality though obviously)... but in 2006/2007 the PC looks
    like a low-end PC. it's funny how Sony and Microsoft switched
    position on high-bandwidth EDRAM for rendering performance. PS2 had
    it, Xbox1 didn't.
    but this time Xbox 360 has it, PS3 doesn't.

    is there anything else to say? yeah, I hope PS4 turns out good.
    that's all.

    AirRaid, Mar 9, 2007