    latest audio driver from Asus' website. The front panel mic input
    works fine.

    Please help.

    denisavu, May 18, 2006

  2. denisavu

    Paul Guest

    Are you in 5.1 speaker mode ? You can only use 2 or 4 channel sound
    output mode, if you expect the microphone jack to work on the back
    of the computer.

    The chip used is quite flexible, and perhaps by looking at this,
    you'll get some idea what is not set right. On many AC 97 chips,
    you need to check a tick box in the Control Panel, to select the
    front or back microphone. Other than the jack multiplexing issue
    (conflict between 5.1 output and microphone use), I don't know
    exactly how microphone selection will work with a thing like
    this. There are dedicated microphone signals, but the Center/LFE
    port can also be used for microphones, and perhaps that is
    what is being used on the back of the computer. With the
    jack sensing capability, you should be seeing a dialog box
    asking you what you just plugged into the rear jack.

    http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/475658243AD1986A_0.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, May 18, 2006

  3. denisavu

    denisavu Guest

    Paul,

    I am in 2-channel mode. I never knew that you can select front/back
    mic input. In the Soundmax control panel, there is only the option of
    selecting one mic, which does not specify whether it is the front or
    back. If I am in 2-channel mode, then the pink mini-plug should
    correspond to the mic, and not the C/LFC output, right?

    denisavu, May 19, 2006
  4. denisavu

    Paul Guest

    In two channel mode, your manual says the pink connector is
    microphone. So that should work.

    This is my guess at the wiring. I think you have stereo
    microphone capability on the FP_AUDIO header. That
    means the microphone on the front of the computer should be
    stereo.

    The pink jack on the rear of the computer, is also a microphone
    input. Analog Devices, in the data sheet, says they support
    multiplexing of the input and output function on that jack.
    The jack becomes an output when you are in six speaker mode,
    and otherwise should be an input.

    I think you still need a way to tell the driver, which microphone
    to use. Somehow, it has to know that the front_jack or the
    rear_jack is being used. While the datasheet is crammed with
    information about sensing, we don't know how Asus is using
    the capabilities.

    | |
    MIC1 ----- front_jack -------| |
    MIC2 ----- front_jack -------| |
    | AD1986A |
    Pink ----- rear_jack --------| |
    Pink ----- rear_jack --------| |
    | |

    Doesn't a sound driver panel pop up, when you plug in
    the microphone ? The sensing function may not work on
    the FP_AUDIO header, but the sensing function should be
    fully functional on the rear jacks, at the very least.
    On my AD1985, I'm constantly pestered by popup boxes
    asking me to confirm what was just plugged in.

    Paul

    Paul, May 19, 2006
  5. denisavu

    someone Guest

    Right on, the pick one is for microphone, usually.

    unless the pop up has been suppressed, every time I plug in something in the
    back, the sound max drive pops up to ask for confirmation and selection. it
    has been pretty good at detection so far.

    someone, May 26, 2006
  6. denisavu

    Nemoo

    Joined:
    May 28, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    i have the same problem, the microphone doesnt work!

    have you returned your board? i dont want to have to build a new computer because of a broken microphone jack...

    Nemoo, May 28, 2006
  7. denisavu

    Junker

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    How to control whitch mic is active

    I have also had the same problem. And just before i was going to return the motherboard, I was goind trough the setup again. And finally i found the problem, at least for me:

    In the Sound MAX control Panel, at the "SoundMAX HD Audio O", there is a special field right next to the Microphone. If you place your mouse above this field, it says somthing like this: Advanced: microphone on the front panel, and microfon forstærkning (dont know the englishg word for this). If you klick on in, you can turn off the "front mic" (whitch do nok exsist om my computer). And then the rear mic works.

    Hope this information can help you.

    Junker, Jun 19, 2006
  8. denisavu

    Drey

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had the same Problem.

    I did some research on my own. Did here and there some Expiriments.
    The Result is a bit frustrating:

    Headsets with same cable connection to microphne and earspeaker (multiplexing) dont work!

    I tried a headset where the connection between micro and speaker is separate.
    And it worked for me !

    I hope i made myself clear :) ...

    Drey, Jun 26, 2006
  9. denisavu

    emkay

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Junker,

    You are right on the money!!

    Let me paraphrase what you said:

    1) Open your SoundMAX control panel (blue icon with white triangle)
    2) Locate the component titled "Playback: SoundMAX HD Audio O" or similar (first one for me)
    3) Locate the Microphone lever
    4) At the bottom of the microphone lever, to the right of the red/green light is a small black button. Click it.
    5) Unselect Front panel microphone

    DONE! Your rear mic jack should work now.

    :)

    emkay, Jul 14, 2006
  10. denisavu

    yamanjain

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    thanks !!!!

    hey junker.... way to go champ!! it worked perfectly!! i'm so happy.. :)
    too bad asus forgets to mention so many simple things on their very famous board.. I just registered on this site to say thank you very much to you..

    yamanjain, Aug 11, 2006
  11. denisavu

    krishn

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    a8n vm mic not working

    hi all,

    I have tried all given but mic is not working. it shows me yellow error tringle "needs to be muted" in soundmax controlpanel. I have disabled unchecked front panel microphone.

    I have also reinstalled all drivers of soundmax. any clear or stepwise instruction please tell me.

    krishn, Sep 15, 2006
  12. denisavu

    IZIO AJDELSZTAJN

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    rear mic input not working

    JUNKER I thank you very much for the solution. My mic was not working and after hours of work looking for the solution I found that the problem was that the rear mic input was not set and I dont have a front mic input. I follow JUNKER instructions (copied below) and the mic worked fine. I found the same problem reported in many places in the net with no solution, even in some cases people have changed motherboards.

    Solution: "In the Sound MAX control Panel, at the "SoundMAX HD Audio O", there is a special field right next to the Microphone. If you place your mouse above this field, it says somthing like this: Advanced: microphone on the front panel, and microfon forstærkning (dont know the englishg word for this). If you klick on in, you can turn off the "front mic" (whitch do nok exsist om my computer). And then the rear mic works."

    Izio from Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

    IZIO AJDELSZTAJN, Jun 16, 2007
  13. denisavu

    santhoshs

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks a lot!!!

    Hey Junker, thanks a lot for your instruction to make the mic work! god damn i spent lots of time in fixing this issue... good that i saw your thread on this site.. thanks again... i just want to say thanks to you, so i registered to the site :) the credits goes to you...

    santhoshs, Sep 7, 2009